It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:23 pm Advanced search

Harbor freight welder 90 amperage change over

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

Harbor freight welder 90 amperage change over

Postby mrel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 am

Hello
On youtube some people change the Harbor Freight 90 amp welder to negative gun and to positive ground.
They do that by adding capacitor and Bridge rectifier into the circuit.
Anyone on this forum ,did you try the change over,did you find the welder any better after the change over
mrel.
mrel

Re: Harbor freight welder 90 amperage change over

Postby sedanman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:49 am

A guy I work with did this to his machine. Said it cost him less than 20 bucks and made a big difference.
sedanman
Ace

Postby tweake » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 am

possible but how common is a rectifier of that size ? i'm guessing not all that common to find.

the other thing is its still a pos machine which is probably going to die for other reasons. is it worth spending even more money on ?
tweak it until it breaks
tweake

Postby sedanman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 am

There's a video series on the conversion on YouTube. They use surprisingly small rectifiers. Parts to do this are easy to source.
sedanman
Ace

Postby cj737 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:01 pm

tweake wrote:the other thing is its still a pos machine which is probably going to die for other reasons. is it worth spending even more money on ?

Some times, inexpensive tools last elephant years no matter how poorly made, how roughly treated, and infrequently used. If the OP only needs to turn a screw every once in a while, why purchase a full set of Snap-On screw drivers? (As an analogy).
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby tweake » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:45 am

cj737 wrote:
tweake wrote:the other thing is its still a pos machine which is probably going to die for other reasons. is it worth spending even more money on ?

Some times, inexpensive tools last elephant years no matter how poorly made, how roughly treated, and infrequently used. If the OP only needs to turn a screw every once in a while, why purchase a full set of Snap-On screw drivers? (As an analogy).

to continue the analogy,
the cheap screwdrivers round off after the first dozen screws and you end up stuffing up the screws. its then thrown in the bin and you go buy better screw drivers.

don't get me wrong, i don't mind cheap nasty tools when you know they are just going to get munted anyway.
you don't always have to go buy the top brands. i certainly do not have a top brand welder, but its also not as cheap and nasty as that mig.

if you want to do it as a project and see what you can get out of it, go for it.
but if you just want a welder that works when you need it, get something better.

btw i see ChuckE2009 has done a couple of vids on cheap welders. worth watching.
tweak it until it breaks
tweake

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding