mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
anndel
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 am

Hey gang, Hope I made the right choice of a MIG welder. Haven't welded since high school auto shop in the 1980's using mostly arc(guess it's stick now) and oxacetylene gas. Basically I consider my self a beginner so I bought a Hobart Handler 140 based on lots of reviews and You Tube videos. It was listed for $559 but today I noticed it was $498 with the welding gel so I sprung for it.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Those are good little mig machines. I wouldn't worry about your purchase.
From what I hear about the prices usually being high where you live, sounds like a good buy.

Personal opinion, they are really good for 1/8" and thinner.

3/16" and 1/4" depends on the prep you do and/or how small the piece is.

Make sure you feed it enough juice. They like to trip 15 amp breakers.
20 amp, dedicated outlet (no others on the line) lets them work at their best - and is the manufacturers recommendation.

Truthfully, a 30 amp line is even better in my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you start having problems.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
anndel

Thanks for the kind words and advice. Sorry to mislead you, the $498 price is on Amazon.com plus free delivery. There's only Airgas and Matheson here in Honolulu. Local Airgas wants $559 for it and Matheson said doesn't carry Hobart.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Pay the $60 Xt and get it from Airgas........
anndel

Got it for $475 with free shipping from Amazon. Found a local authorized factory service center a few miles from my house that also services Millers. I was going to Airgas but the sales person was talking down to me and tried to sell me a Miller 211.
anndel

Got it for $475 with free shipping from Amazon. Found a local authorized factory service center a few miles from my house that also services Millers. I was going to get it from Airgas but the sales person was talking down to me and tried to sell me a Miller 211.
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

my local airgas talks down Lincoln and tries to sell you a miller but there good guys at this branch and have always been really helpful to me, actually going above and beyond letting me demo hoods and bringing machines by for me and my crew to try and even helping me with bottles that I bought from private sellers that weren't the size or type of gas I wanted. I have seen they get a pretty bad rap but I am lucky here I guess. they are suffering some with the new ownership and I sure hope they don't drive the folks I deal with to another brand.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!