mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

So, I have a Bobcat 250 as a generator. It is a couple years old.

I wanted a Millermatic 252. But, talking to someone from Miller, I found that it would not work with my Bobcat.

I was going to get a Suitcase Xtreme 12vs. But, I just read a question about it doing aluminum and someone responding no. haha

So, looking at the ones Miller said would work, taking off the two suitcases, I guess what I will get is the Millermatic® 212 Auto-Set™ MIG Welder.

Now, it is 3am and I am tired as hell. haha But, from what I read, I can not weld aluminum with that machine, until I buy an expensive thing to add to it. Is that correct?

If that is true, anyone care to inform me on what it is I will have to save for next? haha

I do not want to spend, almost $4000. I have been saving for a while and will soon have enough to get the first welder I was going to, the 252. Thus, getting the cheaper one, will give me a bit extra to add to the savings pot. haha
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Easiest solution for you is a 12VS Suitcase, and a 30a Spoolgun that hooks to the Bobcat. Yes, you'll have over $3,000 in it, but you'll have all the capabilities, portability, and a 200a portable ally MIG. Plus the Suitcase is extremely versatile and durable.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I do on occasion use a Millermatic 252 powered by the Bobcat 250. The Bobcat produces 41 amps of AC 60 HZ 240 volt power. You likely can't manage dualshield with the Bobcat as power supply, but most MIG welding will work fine. I don't know who at Miller you spoke to, but they have misled you.
The 252 would be my first choice in aluminum spool gun power source, but I usually have utility power. 252 is not an inverter welder, meaning it is less efficient at converting utility power to weld arc power.
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

I have an 8vs and have had good luck welding aluminum with it. My LWS guy has a few 12" rolls of .035, he let me spool some off onto a 8" roll to play with.
When I got a hobart beta mig 200 that I "chopped" down, to use as a CV power supply for my miller legend it had the old 10' gun I didnt need. So I took it and cut it down to 6' put the right plug on the end and installed a teflon liner.
Hooked up argon, and it worked just fine. I think you could get away with a 8' gun with the teflon liner, but I wouldnt go longer.
Pretty easy to shorten a gun, cut off the plug end and shorten that way, just make sure to cut it off 6-8" longer than finish length, and get the trigger switch wires out, then cut the rest to size and put it back together.
PS, Unless you plan to run the 212 off wall power, the suitcase on yer bobber would be more powerful, and much higher duty cycle. I wish my legend was cc/cv, but I like the low rpm.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The recommendation from Miller was likely to maintain max capability of the mig.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Bill Beauregard

Pole Framer is on the mark. Miller advice is calculated to avoid controversy.

I still urge you to run power to your building as a best solution. I've spent a lifetime running power to buildings that couldn't have power. It is not a big deal. I'll talk you through it. There are numerous reasons to do it, few, and lame reasons to not do it.
Glowzinski

Interesting stuff.
Glowzinski

Ok, next month will be an expensive one. haha I will get the Suitcase X-Treme 12 vs feeder, with the 30a spoolgun.

Also, I have a Dewalt multi cutter saw. I cut some 45s, to make a bench I saw on Arc magazines site. I mean, off like a son of a bitch. haha

It makes no sense to me. Unless, the blade is uneven. I mean, the metal is right on on the inner part. But, the outside is way off. How the heck can that happen? haha

Also, when I set the thing to 45, it ALWAYS moves a bit off. It is annoying. I saw that Evolution has a metal cutting miter saw. So, I will get one of those.

Now, I know I need a tank of something for the mig welder. I will wait on that for another month. haha I am sure I will need other stuff as well.
Poleframer

I know some will say "oh, you cant mix gasses accurately that way", but here's what I do. I have a 150 bottle of argon, and a 20 lb bottle of C02. Each has a flowmeter (both are 50 psi, in scfh). Then a valved "Y" on the argon line. One line from it goes to my tig setup, the other has a "T" in it from the CO2 to my feeder.
This way I can run my choice of pure argon for tig and aluminum (you cant use C25 for the spoolgun-aluminum), or just cheap C02 for mig, or I usually run something close to 25% CO2 for wire, and if I want to lay down a lot of wire, I run 2 cfh CO2 to 18 cfh of argon, and go into spray pretty easy.
I use CC for spray and flux wire, since I can only get up to around 160 amps using my power supply plugged into the generator, but thats at 100% duty cycle, and only running 1800 rpms.
This way you only have one high pressure bottle to buy, and CO2 bottles are a lot cheaper to get and fill.
And if you put a quick connect on the line, ya could pick up a tig torch pretty cheap and have that available to use as well.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Glowzinski wrote:Ok, next month will be an expensive one. haha I will get the Suitcase X-Treme 12 vs feeder, with the 30a spoolgun.

Also, I have a Dewalt multi cutter saw. I cut some 45s, to make a bench I saw on Arc magazines site. I mean, off like a son of a bitch. haha

It makes no sense to me. Unless, the blade is uneven. I mean, the metal is right on on the inner part. But, the outside is way off. How the heck can that happen? haha

Also, when I set the thing to 45, it ALWAYS moves a bit off. It is annoying. I saw that Evolution has a metal cutting miter saw. So, I will get one of those.

Now, I know I need a tank of something for the mig welder. I will wait on that for another month. haha I am sure I will need other stuff as well.
Get the Evolution 380 14in. They have a lighter ,cheaper version which is ok but the 380 just heavier built. You can go back years on Dewalt reviews up to present and the vice and clamping system is a constant concern. I have cut a pile of mitres with my 380 and never a slip.
Glowzinski

Yes, the clamp on my Dewalt sucks. I ALWAYS, have to go back and reset my metal.

I am putting a review on Amazon. I may have one. But, I will put the thing down to 2 our of 5 stars. I mean, I wasted so much time and money on the metal.

I am not one to give up. So, I will get more and just use what I have to make a smaller bench.

Someone online said the Evolution saws are the same quality as Harbor Freight stuff. But, you know what? My portable bandsaw I got from Freight works perfectly, for years. Actually, I drew an idea to make a stand using that band saw. If I were to get some ball bearings, and say, a pole, then a sheet of steel, I could have the thing set up so that it would rotate to a desired degree. I would just have to make something that would allow me to rotate the saw in a circular motion. You know what I mean? Not just turn, but move the entire thing to an angle. I am not sure that saw can cut angles.

I like making my own stuff. But the Evolution saw looks good to me.

The pictures show how great the Dewalt cuts. Now, as I said, the inside was good. But, the outside was way off. Actually, it was at least 1/4 of an inch off on the outside right after I made the cuts. I had to take my grinder and grind it down. Still, it is off. When I flip the metal over and look, it is even worse.

I am one who likes things perfect. I mean, someone told me I could weld a metal plate under the four sides. Why would I do that? If the thing was made correctly, I would not have to make something extra to add. So, it's start all over for me.

haha My step father, who is not a tool guy, though he was a captain at the Fire Dept. for like, 20 years, told me that I picked an expensive hobby and I should choose another instead. LOLOL Motivation it not his thing. hahahaha

Looking at the saw the person recommended, that a good working saw? I was going to get the Evolution Power Tools RAGE 3-DB 10-Inch TCT Multipurpose Cutting Double Bevel Compound Sliding Miter Saw. I like the way the bottom part can move and how i can put in either direction. But, if you think the other would work better, then I suppose I should go by the advise of someone who has used on. haha
Attachments
IMG_9163.jpg
IMG_9163.jpg (81.68 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
IMG_9161.jpg
IMG_9161.jpg (71.68 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Cut on my Evolution saw..
Attachments
IMG_5081-2.jpg
IMG_5081-2.jpg (111.4 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Glowzinski

Well, balls.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Glowzinki : One of the tells that sold me on the Evolution is that years ago they did have specific problems reported which by following the reviews over time were corrected and it shows. Dewalt on the other hand seemed to sit on their hands and depend on reputation alone and never fixed an obvious, long reported design defect with the vice. The 380 will 45% mitre to 3 3/4in wide. Properly set up with good stock support will give you perfect angles every time. I also have the Rage 3 mainly for mitering much wider stock and mitering heavier stock on the flat and a bit of woodcutting. The Rage 3 cuts upward a bit when the blade is right down and seems easier on the blade than the 380 which comes straight down when cutting on the flat. The Rage 3 doesn't have a vice, just a hold down bolt and needs a bit of ingenuity sometimes to hold the stock secure but quite doable. If you get a Rage 3 get a decent blade also. It comes (or did) with a 20 something tooth blade that's pretty chunky.
Glowzinski

Cool. I thought about it today. I mean, I COULD have made a base out of metal. Then, had a magnet under. That would hold the thing I wanted to cut in place. haha

Since I started the welding thing a few years ago, man, I love making stuff. Just sitting, thinking and making. Nothing makes me feel the way I do, when I am outside welding. It's like, I am the only person on the earth. Just me and the tools. I love it.
Glowzinski

Today sucked. haha I tightened up the bolts on my saw. I thought I cut a piece that worked. So cut the stuff I had, again today. I held an angle up to it, off.

I mean, how? haha The thing still moved off from 45%. I'll tell you who I will never buy from again, freaking Dewalt.

I have a question though. You've all been most helpful.

I got 5 sheets, 4 x 4 foot of three different sizes metals. 18 gauge, which I think I need .024, .030 and or .035 to mig weld. Then, 1/8, which I think I need .030 or .035 for. BUT, haha I also got 1/16. What in the hell size wire do I need for that?

Two more days and the welder will be ordered.

The place I get metal from, didn't fully look at my address and sent it to Penn. haha I am glad the people refused it. It cost me a lot. So, whenever I get that I will be good.

I think I know the tips I need for the mig gun. I saw a chart online. Plus, I got one of those mig charts from Miller a few weeks ago.

I don't think I need cables for the thing. If I do, it will just add to all the other stuff I have to buy next month. haha
Bill Beauregard

Woodworkers curf in miters. A miter that doesn't fit well can be fastened in place, then a very fine handsaw with little tooth set is used to cut a curf , fine tuning the joint.

I suggest a sawzall, thin cut blade on a grinder, or a hacksaw.
Glowzinski

I may have asked this already. I am so freaking tired. So, work with me. haha Bad luck at freaking Roberts Oxygen today. I mean, everything the guy told me, was wrong. Waste of time.

I see the Suitcase (which I ordered this morning AND see it will arrive tomorrow) comes with the cables, that I guess are hooked of the mig gun and the ground clamp. I know i need a flowmeter. I need a tank of c02. I need those drive roll things. Though, it comes with three different ones. My metal is 1/16, 1/8 and 18 gauge. Which drive rolls will I need? Then, what about cables to hook the thing to my Bobcat?

Just making a list

Flowmeter
Tank of C02
Drive roll
cables

Anything else?
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Glowzinski wrote:I may have asked this already. I am so freaking tired. So, work with me. haha Bad luck at freaking Roberts Oxygen today. I mean, everything the guy told me, was wrong. Waste of time.

I see the Suitcase (which I ordered this morning AND see it will arrive tomorrow) comes with the cables, that I guess are hooked of the mig gun and the ground clamp. I know i need a flowmeter. I need a tank of c02. I need those drive roll things. Though, it comes with three different ones. My metal is 1/16, 1/8 and 18 gauge. Which drive rolls will I need? Then, what about cables to hook the thing to my Bobcat?

Just making a list

Flowmeter
Tank of C02
Drive roll
cables

Anything else?
Or flux core try E71T-11 030 wire
No gas need

This what I use as can welded out side with wire
I have Flowmeter and Tank my welder came with drive rolls and cables

You buy Flowmeter and Tank later

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Glowzinski wrote:I may have asked this already. I am so freaking tired. So, work with me. haha Bad luck at freaking Roberts Oxygen today. I mean, everything the guy told me, was wrong. Waste of time.

Just making a list

Flowmeter
Tank of C02
Drive roll
cables

Anything else?
Or flux core try E71T-11 030 wire
No gas need

This what I use as can welded out side with wire
I have Flowmeter and Tank my welder came with drive rolls and cables

You buy Flowmeter and Tank later

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Poleframer

Your ground cable stays the same, what connector do you use for your stick stinger? I believe the 12vs comes with a tweco 4 type connector, I use 2 type so I changed the plug out on my 8vs to that. I have various lengths of cables I put the connectors on each end on, and made short whips for the ground clamp and my stick stinger so I can plug in the suitcase, without having a long cable dedicated to the stinger.
You could just pick up the right connectors when you get the 12vs, and then adapt your leads.
Glowzinski

Well, my welder arrived today and I am pisses off.

So, it has been odd. FedEx delivered it four days late.

I open the gun first. I’ve never had one. I think it’s broken. There is a gap open on the bottom. I tell myself it is supposed to be that way.

I open the welder. I know I’m screwed. The cable that comes from the welder and goes into another, has a big part broken off. I mean, unless someone owned thebthing and hit it on metal, I don’t see how it could have happened.

There is one pack of drive rolls. I thought there were supposed to be three packs. Then, everything looks used.

I don’t know if it was sent this way or if Fedex had something happen and that is what made it arrive four days late. Now, I have to send everything back and wait for them to send me another.

I am going to tell them not to send through Fedex.
Attachments
94588D11-CF70-4168-8380-62BD54AA3445.jpeg
94588D11-CF70-4168-8380-62BD54AA3445.jpeg (42.6 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
3ACD00D6-EB25-4009-95CB-5BFFD0F9D5DB.jpeg
3ACD00D6-EB25-4009-95CB-5BFFD0F9D5DB.jpeg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
4E3268EA-56FE-4168-BE0A-6CA0F60BC5A7.jpeg
4E3268EA-56FE-4168-BE0A-6CA0F60BC5A7.jpeg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
10197F2C-B63C-4B6E-B52D-C40F83879B7B.jpeg
10197F2C-B63C-4B6E-B52D-C40F83879B7B.jpeg (30.24 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
BEEA868A-467F-426B-9240-C9F3B5C9806D.jpeg
BEEA868A-467F-426B-9240-C9F3B5C9806D.jpeg (39.6 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
7EDFE964-728C-4BD7-B3CA-C0990FDF0B8A.jpeg
7EDFE964-728C-4BD7-B3CA-C0990FDF0B8A.jpeg (45.32 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
cj737

Someone opened that gun and didn't reassemble the innards correctly. That dense connector is bizarre! Someone hated that thing to shear it.

I'd be pretty disappointed too, but I'd make darn certain the Merchant Overnighted me a new unit. And sent a Prepaid Return label.

Sorry for your bad luck- If you're jammed up and need a MIG urgently, let me know. I'll drag one up to you for the weekend.
Glowzinski

I don't NEED one. haha I was just excited to try mig welding. Plus, as I said, it was four days late.

I can figure out what happened to either thing. The gun, it's like someone opened it, broke the thing and just sent it back to Cyberweld. As for the welder itself, I mean, what would it take, to break the metal male end like that? It's odd. The way it is broken. Plus, there is no metal in the box. It's as if it was all owned before, broken, sent back and then sent to me.

The Evolution saw I got today, which cost me almost $400 kind of sucks right now as well. The blade skips like a mother. Does not really cut clean. I looked on Amazon, which is the pace I got it and someone said they had to get a blade that was just for metal. Which, will cost me $60.

Today has sucked. haha Plus, I cut the hell out of my leg on rust metal. So, that was fun.
cj737

Glowzinski wrote:I don't NEED one. haha I was just excited to try mig welding. Plus, as I said, it was four days late.

I can figure out what happened to either thing. The gun, it's like someone opened it, broke the thing and just sent it back to Cyberweld. As for the welder itself, I mean, what would it take, to break the metal male end like that? It's odd. The way it is broken. Plus, there is no metal in the box. It's as if it was all owned before, broken, sent back and then sent to me.

The Evolution saw I got today, which cost me almost $400 kind of sucks right now as well. The blade skips like a mother. Does not really cut clean. I looked on Amazon, which is the pace I got it and someone said they had to get a blade that was just for metal. Which, will cost me $60.

Today has sucked. haha Plus, I cut the hell out of my leg on rust metal. So, that was fun.
Hope you get a tetanus shot too. :o