mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
StratoGeezer
    Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks - I think I'm getting close. Any idea what causes that porosity? I'd assume that would equal weak points in my welds.
jhic91
    Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:10 am

dirty metal or no sheilding gas, cause porosity. And you got it, porosity=weak welds.
JAL1639
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Looks a lot better...
To me, the beads look tall. Which means you’re not getting enough penetration. Turn your heat up a little bit and see if you can get the beads to lay down.
War Eagle!
StratoGeezer

Okay - I'm going to boost my gas back up slightly to 20ish to hopefully combat the porosity.

In terms of increasing penetration - I believe I was on setting 4, which is the highest. Maybe I can reduce the wire speed a bit - I think I may have increased it to just above 30.

I feel 1000 times better that I'm to the point of dialing it in, versus all over the place like when I started....thanks to you guy's providing the expertise.

I hope I can get past tripping the breaker though.....that's the last thing I need to worry about when trying to produce decent welds.

Thanks!
StratoGeezer

Okay - I'm probably getting ahead of myself - but as an experiment, and knowing I still need to practice - I welded some square tubing stock together in several different configurations shown below. The strength of the welds seems decent - as I could not break them apart with hammer and vise, anyway.

badshah
    Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:15 am

just bought a Mig, just had to say you are an inspiration for me :D