mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
WeldingJunkie
    Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

HI Folks, im trying to cut down on the amount on gases i am buying, Right now i have (C25) 75/25 (C10) 90/10 for Spray and (C3) 97/3 for Stainless this is all for Mig welding and 100% Argon for Tig.

My question is can i dump the 90/10 and just use the C3 for both Mild Steel & Stainless Steel to Spray Arc? I can try it out but i wanted to ask first to see who uses C3 to Spray. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

In the Lincoln GMAW book there is a listing for C2: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... -92Bun1_ET
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-08-26-13-09-08.png
Screenshot_2018-08-26-13-09-08.png (316.28 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
WeldingJunkie

Thank you Dave for confirming my suspicion. Ive heard there is much more spatter and runs much hotter, im hoping someone uses it can chime in and let me know their thoughts.

Why not hook it up and try it, you already have the bottle.

Not going to be out anything.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
WeldingJunkie

True- C3 was expensive tho just trying to not waste any, i guess it wont use much to just give it a shot i know itll work just not for structural etc just trying to figure out if its an all around good choice.

If all you use is variations on argon and co2, why not use a mixer and tailor the gas mixtures as you need them?
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
WeldingJunkie

I think that's something i need to think about, i have not done that due to the inconsistency of metering the gases but at this point i might allow me to do whatever i want with any gas i want. Do you do that?

WeldingJunkie wrote:I think that's something i need to think about, i have not done that due to the inconsistency of metering the gases but at this point i might allow me to do whatever i want with any gas i want. Do you do that?
I don't much, except for when I'm screwing around in my home shop :D

But there are a few members on weldingweb who use actual mixers for accurate results. They may be here too, I forget...
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Ryan
  • Ryan
    Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 am

I use c25 for everything mild steel. All the big manufacturers offer several different "dual shielded" wires optimized for use with a 75%/25% mix. Same goes for 100% Co2. Just read the info slip that came with your wire, or simply call the manufacturer. They will tell you everything you need to know as well as help with troubleshooting. Dont know about stainless, but a mixer setup would be cool. I too have different gasses. I would be interested in a mixing setup so I can have a helium tank for cutting aluminum on my plasma table.
Semper Fidelis Ooh Rah!
WeldingJunkie

Thanks Ryan- Stainless you need c3 gas that's why i bought it but i never tried to spray steel with c3 only c10 and works real good. OI am going to try the C3 this week ill post a pic let you guys know. asked my LWS and he said the Helium is very expense. I changed my mind fast lol but id like a mixer for 02 and argon then i just need to buy two gases. i wish there was a one size fit all lol

Dual Shield works with all the same gases steel works with.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

WeldingJunkie wrote:asked my LWS and he said the Helium is very expense. I changed my mind fast lol
You need a different LWS. I buy 100% Argon or 75%Ar/25%He for the exact same price. 100%He is more expensive than 100%Argon, but for ally work, 25% is plenty. For plasma, you could investigate Nitrogen instead. I haven't priced it-
WeldingJunkie

Thanks CJ thats what i had said. 100% Argon/ C25 / C10 and C3 i pay $75.00 for all of them for 335CF tank. Helium 100% is double. I find my LWS to be very cheap. Maybe you mis read what i had wrote. He said 100% helium is very expensive so i changed my mind. I know states where people cant even get 120CF for $75 bucks. I have the largest tanks you can get. they are 5ft tall

Im trying to consolidate gases so i don't carry C3 C10 and C25. I can use C25 for mig short circuit and C3 for stainless and spray. then 100% argon for aluminum obviously. Im going to test the c3. I need argon for my prop pulse mig too for aluminum so i use mostly argon between mig and tig