mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey Forum Land,

Any stories about welding robots? Good or bad. Epic fails or Epic wins. At work we have a huge robot cell for welding army vehicles. Outside of the vehicles and they also reach inside through the windscreen, gun turret hole and door to weld the inside. The welds that it does well are damn near perfect but when it stuffs up, it gives new meaning to the words, Fail, Epic Fail. Everything from slight lack of fusion and irregular bead shape to going cross country on the plate and burning through 10mm plate.

I spose I shouldn't really complain too much though. It does take a lot of manual labour out of the job, which has about 150- 200 meters of weld in each truck

I haven't got any photos due to company security rules. But anyway.
Mick.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

The vehicle I work on is called the Bushmaster. It is an Australian Designed and Made. The majority are with the Australian Army, deployed in Iraq and Afganistan. We have also sold to the United Kingdom and The Dutch for use in Afganistan. 10 plain "hulls" made it to the US. They were at Oshkosh in Wisconsin were they were tried out and cut apart and re- jigged but I don't know what happened to those. There been over 30 destroyed in Afganistan by roadside bombs and land mines without a single soldier death. In fact they are all the Australian Army uses to transport people in Afgan now.

Thanks for the reply
Mick Seymour
Australia