mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:44 pm

I tend to move too slowly. I only do single pass work. Could switching from .035 to .023 wire help make my welds a better size? Like me, my welds need to lose weight.
Thanks!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes I will help make smaller welds, because your adding filler at a slower rate. However the smaller wire isn’t capable of the same amperage so you might not get enough penetration. Depending on how thick of metal your working with. Sometimes you can compensate by changing your joint configuration ie beveling both pieces for a full penetration weld and using a preheat.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If the machine you’re welding with is the Eastwood MIG listed in your signature, then you probably really need to drop to 0.023 due to voltage range. As Poland said, penetration is critically dependent upon voltage and it’s not likely that your box has the stones to truly burn in 0.035 as a necessity.

And if you’re using it as a learning process, yep, 0.023 will be easier to dissect your “torch habits” like angle, distance, travel speed etc. Try to really focus your eyes on the edges of the puddle as you sweep back and forth, holding on the side long enough to see the puddle wet in. Then whip across to the other side. Don’t really need to pause in the middle generally as it fills in from the edge. Hold on the sides, sweep across. Holding equally both sides (given equal material thickness).
    Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:44 pm

I can't thank you folks enough for your advice. What an awesome community!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

cj737 wrote:If the machine you’re welding with is the Eastwood MIG listed in your signature, then you probably really need to drop to 0.023 due to voltage range. As Poland said, penetration is critically dependent upon voltage and it’s not likely that your box has the stones to truly burn in 0.035 as a necessity.

And if you’re using it as a learning process, yep, 0.023 will be easier to dissect your “torch habits” like angle, distance, travel speed etc. Try to really focus your eyes on the edges of the puddle as you sweep back and forth, holding on the side long enough to see the puddle wet in. Then whip across to the other side. Don’t really need to pause in the middle generally as it fills in from the edge. Hold on the sides, sweep across. Holding equally both sides (given equal material thickness).
Hey, I can't see his signature! What's going on here? :lol:

OP: 0.023" wire can be used at lower amperage levels, but remember that you might not get the fusion profile you are needing/wanting. If you use too little amperage in an effort to make the weld bead size smaller, then you might be inadvertently compromising the fusion into the root of the joint. Of course the way to know for sure is to produce practice pieces, weld them, jot down the settings, and then cut/polish/etch them with some phosphoric acid based cleaner, or naval jelly rust remover. Then you can really see what is going on..