mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Teamchevy
    Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:59 am

I'm looking for a clear definition between MIG Welding and MIG Braze Welding. I understand that MIG Welding is the fusing of the two parent materials using a filler wire, but I don't fully understand MIG Braze Welding. Definitions I've read on Brazing talks about the filler material joining the parent metals by capillary action, but this is supposed to be different from Braze Welding. Can anyone help??

Thanks,

Dave
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Im not 100% sure, but I think someone is FN with you about the MIG braze welding. I know there are hundreds of welding processes and I have read an up to date chart with all of them on it. That doesn't sound right. MIG welding is a form of arc welding and brazing is a form of gas welding. I don't believe there is a process that incorporates both. I would have to see it to believe it. Maybe someone out there knows better than I.
Teamchevy
    Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:59 am

brian wrote:Im not 100% sure, but I think someone is FN with you about the MIG braze welding. I know there are hundreds of welding processes and I have read an up to date chart with all of them on it. That doesn't sound right. MIG welding is a form of arc welding and brazing is a form of gas welding. I don't believe there is a process that incorporates both. I would have to see it to believe it. Maybe someone out there knows better than I.
I found this article yesterday:

http://www.rsfinishing.com/downloads/pd ... RAZING.pdf

I guess I just looking for a definition that explains MIG Braze Welding in short. The closest I get from this article is:
ADHESION VS FUSION

During GMA (MIG) welding, the base metal melts at a temperature of approximately 1,650 degrees C (3,000 degrees F). This is considered a fusion process. When brazing, however, the temperature is considerably less, with a welding temperature between 960-1,000 degrees C (1760-1,830 degrees F). Therefore, only the filler metal melts. It does not melt the surrounding metal in the weld zone, rather it lies on top without penetrating the base metal. At these temperatures, only minor superficial melting of the steel can occur.
Dave

mig brazing seems to be the equivalent to tig brazing using silicon bronze (sil-bro) filler metal. Usually silicon bronze wire is used which melts at a lower melting point than steel. inevitably, some melting of the steel happens. ...just like when you tig steel with sil-bro. if you are careful, you can wet the filler without hardly melting the steel and then you have a strict braze joint...but Just a little too much heat and you are meltin the steel too. ..mixing steel and sil-bro. But the 2 are fairly compatible so when they mix into a weld, it usually still works.
I think the main attraction is less distortion because of the lower heat input required to melt the sil-bro.

The process seems to be used by the automotive manufacturing sector quite a bit.
I dont have any firsthand experience, so i may be talking out of my butt...but this is what i have read.

m2cents,

jody
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

I'll buy that. I didn't think about it that way. If you are only melting the filler and not the base metal, technically your brazing. Thanks for the info. Brian
nativebroncofan
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:04 am

I've read through this post and the attachment page. Gained some knowedge about this process.
The mig machine that will be used in MIG BRAZING 16 guage corner joints does not have a
pulse feature will this cause adheasion problems?
I think the wire size that is avlable is .023.

Currenty I am using a CK worldwide cold wire tig feed for this job with .30 silicon bronze wire.
Just need to get another welder set to enhance production at work.

nativebroncofan