mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
  • jaso
    Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Hello all,

I have a Multimatic 220 and need to do a small amount of body work on my old truck. The roller on my MM220 has an .024 grove and I have a roll of both .023 and .025 wire. Would it be possible for me use either of those spools with the .024 roller? I only have a small amount of sheet metal work to do so I'm trying to use as much existing stuff as I can.

Assuming I can, the only contact tips I have are .030 and .035. Would it be best to buy a tip that matches the .023/.025 (whichever could be used) or would getting .024 contact tips be fine as well?

Do I have to worry about the liner? I'm using the stock liner which I assume is designed for .030/.035.

Thanks in advance,

j
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

There will be no issue with the drive roller. The differences are so minimal it won't matter. I would be willing to bet if you took a dial caliper to any of those, 99.99% of all 0.023/0.024/0.025 wire measures exactly the same anyways.

As for the liner, they do sell a dedicated liner one size smaller. Generaly speaking, an 0.030-liner is good for one wire size below and one above as well, BUT it all depends on each case, as 0.023" wire is further (in size) from 0.030" than 0.035" is from 0.030". If you have feeding issues or a lot of burnbacks, then you'll have to order the 0.023" liner for the MDX gun (if yours came with it).

For tips, any 0.023/0.024/0.025 tip will work, as they all have to be be just slightly oversized for the designated wire to slide freely through it. A 10-pack of tips is less than $20 for the MDX gun. Pretty sure I haven't seen any generic offerings for it as of yet.
  • jaso
    Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Thank you very much for the information, Oscar. I was hoping this would be the case.