mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
ZacCarter96
    Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Hey guys, new here. I have to cut off the piece of the trailer where the hitch connects to, then weld a plate which allows for adjustable height, I will have to weld vertical uphill with 0.35 wire with a Lincoln Electric PowerMig 256. The plate being welded to the trailer is 3/8 in thick, the trailer part is a solid piece of steel, 3/3.5 inches thick width wise. I need recommendations on wire speed and voltage for this application, and wether or not I should use the upside down v weave method to weld uphill. Please help! I will attach a few pictures below. Thanks for your time!
Attachments
Plate going on the front after excess steel is cut off
Plate going on the front after excess steel is cut off
CE51D6E0-C1C4-4AE2-83D8-760003C2F08E.jpeg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
Part of trailer where I have to torch the existing off the front for a flat surface to mount the plate
Part of trailer where I have to torch the existing off the front for a flat surface to mount the plate
126DF006-602F-4C02-8568-E6B978689452.jpeg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Can't say I've ever welded anything like that, but I'm curious to see the replies. For vertical uphill, Jody says uphill is a "must" using the inverted-V so you can have the arc get the required penetration at the root ahead of the puddle.

lNe4fo6hxAQ
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’d recommend beveling the piece so you can guarantee a full penetration weld.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:58 pm

I'd preheat the trailer part. It's going to be a pretty big heat sink and the weld will cool pretty quick (relatively). AWS stipulates a preheat and interpass temperature of 225F for material over 2-1/2".
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

This is a case where I feel more comfortable welding this with 1/8” 7018 stick rod.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

ZacCarter96 wrote:Hey guys, new here. I have to cut off the piece of the trailer where the hitch connects to, then weld a plate which allows for adjustable height, I will have to weld vertical uphill with 0.35 wire with a Lincoln Electric PowerMig 256. The plate being welded to the trailer is 3/8 in thick, the trailer part is a solid piece of steel, 3/3.5 inches thick width wise. I need recommendations on wire speed and voltage for this application, and wether or not I should use the upside down v weave method to weld uphill. Please help! I will attach a few pictures below. Thanks for your time!
I also will be welding on a similar hitch channel using 0.35 GMAW-G. Is there any technique required different than hard wire like Jody's video? The mounting plate is 6" wide X 3/8" thick. I don't have the hitch yet (7000#) to see how thick the channel is. I can pre-heat the plate. Thinking a hot root pass in the V of the formed channel and 2 cover passes? Not real proficient on vertical uphill yet but cut and etch on some practice pieces are not too bad for penetration. Welder is 250 amp.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

ZacCarter96 wrote:Hey guys, new here. I have to cut off the piece of the trailer where the hitch connects to, then weld a plate which allows for adjustable height, I will have to weld vertical uphill with 0.35 wire with a Lincoln Electric PowerMig 256. The plate being welded to the trailer is 3/8 in thick, the trailer part is a solid piece of steel, 3/3.5 inches thick width wise. I need recommendations on wire speed and voltage for this application, and wether or not I should use the upside down v weave method to weld uphill. Please help! I will attach a few pictures below. Thanks for your time!
I also will be welding on a similar hitch channel using GMAW-G. Is there any technique required different than hard wire like Jody's video? The mounting plate is 6" wide X 3/8" thick. I don't have the hitch yet (7000#) to see how thick the channel is. I can pre-heat the plate. Thinking a hot root pass in the V of the formed channel and 2 cover passes? Not real proficient on vertical uphill yet but cut and etch on some practice pieces are not too bad for penetration. Welder is 250 amp.