mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Wildwelder96
    Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:51 pm

Is mig welding stainless alot different from welding mild steel? Is it harder than welding mild steel if so why?
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

It must be harder because mostly it's done badly. First of all, you need tri-mix gas.
Most staino mig I've seen has had the wrong volts and wire feed speed dialled in resulting in cold lap.

I guess people don't do it often enough for proficiency and often there are no scraps or drops lying around to practice and dial in your settings. Also consumables (wire) are expensive so what is on the shelf often gets used rather than buying in the most appropriate wire.

But like other processes, if you have it dialled in right and you use the correct technique and consumables, it will work just fine.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’ve found that if someone wants something to be made out of SS. Then they have a certain expectation about what the welds should look like. That doesn’t often match up with mig. Plus your gonna almost always end up with some spatter, clean up time depending on the part and the finished look needed doesn’t always save time.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
wadeharper
    Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:24 am

Stainless steel retains heat very efficiently, which makes welding it a bit more difficult especially for the novice welder. When faced with excessive welding heat, stainless steel can warp from the high temperatures and even distort during the cooling process.You should have all the tools with you like gloves, welding helmet(especially mig welding helmet as spark is low in case of mig so you need a special helmet for mig, you can find mig helmet here)