mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
cjweaver13
    Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:39 am

Hey all. I have a weird issue I can't find an answer to. I'm using a Vulcan Migmax 215 running off 240 on my generator. Pictures below are using a 1/8 piece of angle iron that I prepped before welding. .035 wire on synergic settings. When running straight beads in a flat horizontal position, I'm not getting full slag coverage. As soon as I have any amount of vertical such as a t-join I'm getting a normal slag profile which is easy to remove and the weld doesn't have the oxidation. I have changed every variable I could think of from brand new wire spool, new tip, drag angles, contact tip length (recommended is 3/4"), wire feed speed, voltage, travel speed etc... and it always happens with flat welds. I can confirm polarity is also correct. Any ideas or tips as I practice?

cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

What polarity are you running for FCAW? How much stick-out do you try to have? What torch angle? Try running a bead within the center of the piece, not along the edge. If you didn't fully clean the edge and backside, then you can pull contaminants into your weld area.

sorry to say, the Vulcan is not a very high end machine so don't expect real miracles. And Flux Core while a good process on higher end machines, is not conducive to great looking welds on entry level boxes. The Vulcan is not a true "synergic" box, for the record.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I have to disagree, while the synergic settings on the migmax 215 are not often correct, it is a fine machine if you understand how to set the machine manually. I am also not sure I would care what the slag looks like if the underlying weld looks acceptable. In my experience slag issues are from not running hot enough. Welding in the vertical dimension always puts more heat into the metal for the same settings. But you don't provide enough info to make any decent recommendations. Are you dragging or pushing the puddle? (if it has slag you must drag as the old adage goes) what is your polarity set at? (for most flux core wires this machine will use, you need to be electrode negative, meaning the negative output is connected to the MIG gun and the positive electrode connected to the work clamp...based on the amount of spatter, I am guessing you have the incorrect polarity), and what do the flat welds look like when the slag is removed? Also make sure you are not running gas by mistake.
Multimatic 255
cjweaver13

Polarity is correct. See below pic. I am using a drag angle of about 10°. There is no gas running as I don't even own a tank to plug in the back. CTWD is 3/4". Weld underneath is solid. I'm not saying it looks good due to my skill, but it is solid metal at least.

I know the welder isn't a name brand $2000 welder but countless reviews and work I have from other career welders I talked to beforehand say it is perfectly adequate. I am not expecting any miracles, you're right. I just want to confirm if I'm addressing what needs to be addressed and it's just the nature of the wire in that position, or if I really do suck that bad :lol:

Edit: forgot to mention I get the same results anywhere on a piece of flat metal. I went to the scrap yard on my lunch today and grabbed some 1/4" steel and other pieces of scrap to keep experimenting on to see if I get any different results with various thicknesses.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Cjweaver13,

Instead of,saying "synergic settings", please tell me what your actual WFS and voltage is.

P.s.: stickout is too much. Shorten to just a smidge under 1/2" for 035 diameter gasless flux core.
cjweaver13

Oscar wrote:Instead of,saying "synergic settings", please tell me what your actual WFS and voltage is.

P.s.: stickout is too much. Shorten to just a smidge under 1/2" for 035 diameter gasless flux core.
Unfortunately I don't know. This one just has the arbitrary letters and numbers on the dial
cjweaver13

Oscar wrote:Instead of,saying "synergic settings", please tell me what your actual WFS and voltage is.

Unfortunately I don't know. This one just has the arbitrary letters and numbers on the dial

cjweaver13 wrote:

Four, 6-second tests to get an average WFS, and a volt meter to the terminals will yield good info.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

one very important thing is what wire are you running?

there is some big differences in wire. quite likely its not the one the machine is programmed for, which is usually why "synergic settings" don't work.
tweak it until it breaks
cjweaver13

tweake wrote:one very important thing is what wire are you running?

there is some big differences in wire. quite likely its not the one the machine is programmed for, which is usually why "synergic settings" don't work.
So far it happens with Vulcan wire and also Lincoln Innershield NP-211
cj737

Reduce your stick out and run in a “push” angle while welding flat. Always helps.
tweake

cjweaver13 wrote:
tweake wrote:one very important thing is what wire are you running?

So far it happens with Vulcan wire and also Lincoln Innershield NP-211
np-211 is really for thinner material.
my guess here is lack of heat which is why it ran better uphill.
crank it up a bit.

while these wires might be the same spec, they all behave a bit different. synergic settings will get you in the ball park but you need to adjust from there.
tweak it until it breaks
cjweaver13

cj737 wrote:Reduce your stick out and run in a “push” angle while welding flat. Always helps.
Pushing goes against everything I've been taught when welding produces slag no?
cj737

cjweaver13 wrote:
cj737 wrote:Reduce your stick out and run in a “push” angle while welding flat. Always helps.
Pushing goes against everything I've been taught when welding produces slag no?
No. Flux Core is very flexible in running in a push mode. Try it. Worst case, your results are no better. Best case, they improve. Learn everyday...

I agree, as long as you don't go too crazy with the gun angle, and you are running sufficient amperage the keep the puddle nice and fluid, the slag will still tend to collect towards the rear of the puddle so long as you keep proper travel speed.
PassionateWelder
    Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:17 pm

Did you ever figure this out. I'm having the same issue.

My equipment is Lincoln Electric MigPak 140 correct polarity according chart for FCAW. Running also the NR-211-MP .35 wire.

I've tried various settings, various angle, various travel speed, it's the same.

tweake

after having a bit of a search on the subject, i think thats caused by to much stick out.
tweak it until it breaks
PassionateWelder

I did more welding tonight and it's the same, cannot get consistent slag coverage with various settings, angles, speed.

I'm also watching this video by Miller, and it's got the same issue - go to 2:31s and you can see the slag coverage is really bad as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI7GOVrB33c

I wonder if that's the just nature of Flux core wires.

I think, yes, it's somewhat typical; you don't always get 100% perfect slag coverage with FCAW-S wires. It could be a symptom of too much arc voltage and/or improper stickout. The arc exerts a pressure on the molten weld pool and the slag as well (which is what make a bead flatten out). Try running only the minimum voltage needed to obtain the proper fusion at the toes of the weld. But of course the stickout needs to be correct in the first place.
PassionateWelder

In a T-Joint configuration, slag coverage is almost full as you can see,
Maybe that’s just the nature of the wire in flat horizontal.

It might also be a limitation of the wire diameter as it can only hold so much flux powder. 045 diameter wire might fare better in that respect. I'll try it out tomorrow with mine.
PassionateWelder

Oscar wrote:It might also be a limitation of the wire diameter as it can only hold so much flux powder. 045 diameter wire might fare better in that respect. I'll try it out tomorrow with mine.
Thanks! If you could try it and maybe post a photo that would be awesome. The reason why I’m so obsessed about it is after watching the Lincoln FCAW troubleshooting video where the guy is able to get good slag coverage with 035 NR-211-MP wire.

https://youtu.be/iD7Y57gK3yU

030 no-name gasless flux core wire I bought on Ebay or Amazon about 5 or 6 years ago. complete slag coverage in the flat position. Even ran two test beads. Both came out fine. So it might be either your settings or your technique, maybe even the wire. But if I can do it with this crappy no name wire that is years old, I'd surely think you can too with Lincoln wire.

If you have the time and inclination, I can work with you to try and figure out what you or your machine is doing wrong, assuming the wire is not compromised.
PassionateWelder

That’s awesome slag coverage! I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

I’ve tried various settings, travel speed, and drag angles. Should I try another wire?

It’s probably not the machine I think..

What do you suggest?
leanangle
    Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:16 am

Hey all, brand-new welder here. Not really qualified to be handing out advice, but since I had this same problem recently and think I have it figured out, I thought I'd chime in. I've only been able to find this question asked two places in all of the internet, with no definitive answer, so hopefully this helps someone in the future. I'd also appreciate input anyone might have regarding the root (pun totally intended) cause of the observed behavior.

In my case, my first-ever stringer beads had plenty of problems, but slag coverage wasn't one of them. That changed, however, in the next couple days of practice. As everything else about my beads got better, the slag coverage issues got worse. I experimented with every parameter I could, to no avail. Then I realized that the one thing different between my first-ever beads and my nose-to-the-grindstone practice is that I set up a fan blowing across the work to keep me from breathing in the fumes! So I turned off the fan, and whatdayaknow... no more slag coverage problems. Now, without a fan, I notice that the only times there's a break in my slag is in spots where the wind temporarily kicks up, and can predict where the breaks will occur based on that. I'm guessing maybe the reason the op & others are having this problem only in flat position is that in vertical, the work itself is shielding the weld from the wind?

I guess (this is the part where I'd love to hear what y'all think), the cause is either (or both): The wind physically blowing off the compounds that would otherwise cool & solidify over the surface of the weld, or the weld cooling too quick to allow the same compounds to bubble up to the surface. Does either make sense?