mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Hello All

It's been a good long while since I spent any time on the board. I'm a hobbyist and am getting ready to start a few wood burning smoker projects and the only welder I currently have is a low hours Lincoln Ranger 8. I expect to be doing a lot of welding 1/4" steel and much of that will be outside corners. I'm in the market for a multi process machine for mild steel and expect any use on stainless of aluminum to be very rare. And I don't care if the machine won't TIG aluminum.

I've test driven both the EMP 235ic and the 285ic with both stick and wire and like the way they run. I already have several 12" rolls of solid (Lincoln Super Arc L-56 .035") and flux core (Lincoln NR-211 .035 and .045") wire stowed in big military ammo cans dating back a few years to when I had a couple LN-25s. I also have 3-4 gas cylinders in the 280-320 CF range and some smaller cylinders and all have been hydro tested, sandblasted and painted in the last few years. Having differing gas mixes on hand is not an issue so if another wire/gas combination makes sense please speak up.

So....I'm looking for advice on whether anyone sees an issue with either the EMP 235ic or the 285ic and which wire and gas combination might be best to start with. Or should I be looking at a different brand and model of machine? I have heavy 240 volts circuits in both spaces where I might be welding.

I suspect the machine would be primarily used for wire welding with some stick welding (with 7018 mostly) for the smokers as I still need a LOT of TIG practice before doing anything other than practicing and want to get a foot pedal before long.

Current retail on the EMP 235is with the $200 rebate is $600 less than the 285ic and that difference may be hard for me, as a retired hobby welder, to bite off.

Thanks for looking and best regards to all,

Lance
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

LanceR wrote: I expect to be doing a lot of welding 1/4" steel and much of that will be outside corners.
From an amperage/power perspective based on your needs quoted above, either will get the job done. Whether it meets your other requirements that you have not mentioned (if there are any) might be another story. There's quite a few other things you have likely thought about but perhaps are not too worried about after the fact? I dunno, I can't see in your head and read your thoughts, but just going by the metal thickness and joint configuration you specified, either can get the job done. If you disclose other pertinent criteria (if there are any), then perhaps there could be more to talk about. :)
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Inner shield as a wire for your projects is a good choice. The 235 should be more than capable.

Here’s another option in the price range: https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... are/index/
LanceR

cj737 wrote:Inner shield as a wire for your projects is a good choice. The 235 should be more than capable.

Here’s another option in the price range: https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... are/index/

cj737, thanks for the reply but the link comes up as a black page headed "Compare".....

Lance
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Hmmm. It was from Weldingsuppliesfromioc.com comparing the 235 to Miller’s MultiMatic 235 multiprocess box. A few hundred bucks less, equal scope I think.

But you can use their site to consider your options and buy it there if you like too. Esab too, not just Miller. I have found they have exceptional prices on machines and shipping is generally free.
LanceR

Thanks. I've ordered from them before but just accessories, consumables etc.

Lance
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I'm generally a big fan of as much output and duty cycle on mig machines as I can get so If I was already in $2,500 for the 235 It would be hard not to just spend an extra 400 or so and get the 285. However either machine will be plenty for building smokers, I'm guessing the absolute thickest pieces on those things would be 1/4 and most would be far less, so you'd have power to spare.

I can say that while building fire pits albeit HEAVY firepits, 36"x48" and 1/4" wall thickness at work I wished I had more than the 230 amp output on the millermatic 211 but that was only due to knowing I was overheating the machine and wishing I could do spray or gas shielded flux core to cut down on welding time.
LanceR

Thanks for the input. Actually, the difference between the 235ic and the 285ic is more like $600 due to the rebate on the 235ic....

But I'm still leaning toward the 285ic or something like the Multimatic 255 although either will likely have to wait a bit. We're both just a week past getting over Covid-19 and I have some ongoing cancer screening to get back to before making any bigger purchases.

Last January Miller ran a $400 rebate on the MM 255 and, at least right now, ESAB has only a $200 rebate on the 235ic and none on the 285ic. A $400 rebate would definitely push the MM 255 to the head of the line at around $2700 (net USD).

I notice that neither the 235ic or the 285ic come with a TIG torch and my brain cell keeps telling me that they did when they were first introduced. Maybe I'm imagining that though.

Have a great weekend.

Best regards to all,

Lance
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

sbaker56 wrote:I'm generally a big fan of as much output and duty cycle on mig machines as I can get so If I was already in $2,500 for the 235 It would be hard not to just spend an extra 400 or so and get the 285. However either machine will be plenty for building smokers, I'm guessing the absolute thickest pieces on those things would be 1/4 and most would be far less, so you'd have power to spare.

I can say that while building fire pits albeit HEAVY firepits, 36"x48" and 1/4" wall thickness at work I wished I had more than the 230 amp output on the millermatic 211 but that was only due to knowing I was overheating the machine and wishing I could do spray or gas shielded flux core to cut down on welding time.
+100 Go big or go home. Plus who's to say you won't want to weld thicker than 1/4 inch in the future? I think the extra duty cycle alone makes it worth it. 160 A / 22 V @ 100% duty cycle for the 285 vs 170 A / 22.50 @ 60% for the 235. Once you get above 140 amps, you can weld a long longer with the 285.
Multimatic 255