mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi all.

A friend of mine has a question about welding mig root runs with the proprietary processes such as Lincoln STT and what not.

Does the weld produced by these fancy pants settings differ in any way from a perfect weld made by a competent operator with a normal mig? Or do they only provide a safety net type setting for times when people aren't 100 per cent perfect with theig gun?

Sorry if this is confusing, it's one of those late night questions that get in the mind and are hard to find information on.

All the best, mick.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hi Mick,
I used an stt when I was in Adelaide last year. Beast of a machine. Much faster deposition than a standard mig could hope to achieve and good peno too. I think it was 400 machine from memory and not cheap. Chalk and cheese. It was interesting to watch the weld pool agitation.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Interested to hear about this too. I've noticed most of the new Lincoln machines come with this feature, but haven't found a good explanation about what it is.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I'd be inclined to say a perfect weld is a perfect weld regardless of the process, while I'm not really that familiar with it I'd suspect it would simply allow you to weld faster and with more room for error than traditional processes.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Good visual explanation here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TzQRLtyRmM
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks gents. That video is an excellent way of explaining it.