mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
DickJ
    Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:22 pm

The wire feeder on my Miller Mig broke and there is no replacement. It cannot be repaired. I only do a little bit of welding any more and I think flux core can do my projects. Is it possible to put a spool gun on a gas mig welder? Also, If a spool gun can be used, could I feed regular wire and still use the gas?
Thanks, DickJ
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A spool gun does rely on gas because it is most commonly used for aluminum MIG. I've never seen anyone use one for hard wire, nor have I seen hard wire in small spools? Which model of machine do you have, as that probably dictates whether it can support a spool gun anyway.
DickJ

MillerMatic 175
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I just replaced the feeding motor on my Millermatic 175. It's not cheap but it is for sure replaceable. What part broke on yours?

Mine wasn't actually broke, just worn out.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
DickJ

The entire plastic backing that supports the motor, wire feed, tension wheels broke into many pieces. Miller said the item is no longer available, so I tried to build new parts with lucite. When I got it all back together, the alignment on the tension wheels was slightly off and it won't feed the wire right, so I gave up. I ordered a cheapo flux rig so I can finish the small job I am working on.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

You can get a remote wire feeder and hot wire it to fit your welder. The spool and gun are in a stand alone cabinet connected by 4 or 5 metre cables.

weldin mike 27 wrote:You can get a remote wire feeder and hot wire it to fit your welder. The spool and gun are in a stand alone cabinet connected by 4 or 5 metre cables.
Those feeders are fairly expensive tho, to my knowledge. Probably same price range as a used Millermatic

DickJ wrote:The entire plastic backing that supports the motor, wire feed, tension wheels broke into many pieces. Miller said the item is no longer available, so I tried to build new parts with lucite. When I got it all back together, the alignment on the tension wheels was slightly off and it won't feed the wire right, so I gave up. I ordered a cheapo flux rig so I can finish the small job I am working on.
Thats no good. That whole feeding system on that welder seems cheaply made. Single drive, on a shaft run through bushings. I wore the shaft out and had to replace the motor, gearbox and shaft as a whole unit. Around $600 total i think it was. I havent had much luck with Miller repairs. On my engine drive the rubber grommet that seals around the fuel suction line started leaking. It's not on any part manuals, my LWS ordered the whole fuel suction line in hopes that the grommet comes with it.

cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

JayWal wrote:On my engine drive the rubber grommet that seals around the fuel suction line started leaking. It's not on any part manuals, my LWS ordered the whole fuel suction line in hopes that the grommet comes with it.
JayWal it might be the composition of the grommet is not resistant to Ethanol fuels (supposing you are using a gasoline-driven engine). If so, the repair kit should have new grommets that are indeed upgraded, or you probably could find replacement grommets elsewhere that fit your motor that are indeed ethanol resistant.

Maybe, just maybe.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I was thinking you might be able to find one cheap at a clearing sale. One with a machine that's broken or too big to be practical anymore. But, I don't really know.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

DickJ wrote:The wire feeder on my Miller Mig broke and there is no replacement. It cannot be repaired. I only do a little bit of welding any more and I think flux core can do my projects. Is it possible to put a spool gun on a gas mig welder? Also, If a spool gun can be used, could I feed regular wire and still use the gas?
Thanks, DickJ
I'm not sure if it varies with which version of MM175 you have, but the Miller spool gun hookup chart shows the Spoolmate 3035 spool gun working with the MM175 if you get the SGA-100 #043856 adapter. The problem is the adapter is nearly $400 and 3035 is around $200 so you're in the ballpark of $600. You might be able to find the adapter and/or gun used on eBay and save a few bucks.

2lb spools of mild steel ER70S6 are available, and will work in a spool gun, so that's not a problem. The spool gun will come with a long gas hose that connects to a flow meter/regulator on your tank of gas, so you're set there.

I just took a look at the MM175 parts manual, looked up the part I think you're talking about and did a Google search on it. It seems the Miller Service Parts folks might have a replacement for you....they mention it's been discontinued by Miller.

https://www.millerserviceparts.com/en/m ... rive-motor
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
DickJ

The parts for conversion were to expensive. I have very little welding left to do, so I decided to just get a cheap flux wilder. I am very impressed with the response and help from this forum. Thanks. DickJ