mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
whillyjo
    Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:52 pm

I am wanting to MIG weld a camper frame out of 6063 aluminum tubing (1”x1”, 1.5”x1.5”, 1.5”x2”, and 2”x4.5”). The tubing would be 1/8” wall thickness. I was planning on using a Lincoln 180 Easy MIG with a spool gun and 100% argon gas; I’m still working out what filler wire I need. But after talking to a welder my dad knows, he was very skeptical on whether or not it would work. He was afraid that I would burn through the tubing and not properly seal the tubing with my welds. He said the way to do it was TIG. I have MIG welded a little bit before (only steel though) but have never TIG welded nor do I have access to the equipment needed.

I have seen a handful of people on DIY forums weld what appears to be thin walled aluminum with a spool gun for similar projects. Is it even possible to weld 1/8” aluminum tubing given my experience and equipment? Could the welds be load bearing? What can I do to ensure success with good penetration and welds (besides proper cleaning of aluminum, right voltage, right wire speed, correct filler, push technique, good gas coverage, etc.)

I have done a little research and it seems possible, but I just wanted to get a second opinion before I proceed. Any insight or advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Hey whilly,

same response as elsewhere. :) I take it you read it on WW.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

whillyjo wrote:I am wanting to MIG weld a camper frame out of 6063 aluminum tubing (1”x1”, 1.5”x1.5”, 1.5”x2”, and 2”x4.5”). The tubing would be 1/8” wall thickness. I was planning on using a Lincoln 180 Easy MIG with a spool gun and 100% argon gas; I’m still working out what filler wire I need. But after talking to a welder my dad knows, he was very skeptical on whether or not it would work. He was afraid that I would burn through the tubing and not properly seal the tubing with my welds. He said the way to do it was TIG. I have MIG welded a little bit before (only steel though) but have never TIG welded nor do I have access to the equipment needed.

I have seen a handful of people on DIY forums weld what appears to be thin walled aluminum with a spool gun for similar projects. Is it even possible to weld 1/8” aluminum tubing given my experience and equipment? Could the welds be load bearing? What can I do to ensure success with good penetration and welds (besides proper cleaning of aluminum, right voltage, right wire speed, correct filler, push technique, good gas coverage, etc.)

I have done a little research and it seems possible, but I just wanted to get a second opinion before I proceed. Any insight or advice is appreciated. Thanks!
mig welding aluminum tubing is fine. its done all the time.
however you really need a better welder than that.
designing the framework is probably more important. i think one of the common issues is people try to simply replace steel with aluminium, which simply does not work.
tweak it until it breaks