mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
CraigLam
    Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

I just bought this one today.
Citroën
    Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Citroën wrote:
Citroën wrote:I'm running a Migatronic Automig 183 MPS, and a Migatronic Sigma 300 Pulse at home - At job i run a Migatronic KDO 325 and some ESAB LAN 315/ESAB LAX 380
The machines are probably not known in the US.
A little edit;
The Sigma 300 are traded in for a new Sigma² 400 watercooled machine - Can't wait. :D :D
Have used the machine for about a week now - Damn, that thing runs :twisted: :D
Sigma² 400 CV, Intelligent Gas Control kit, "Special" software package, Pulse panel. :D
Specs: http://www.migatronic.com/media/leafletsuk/52170032.pdf

Pricetag ~ 16.000$ :shock:
Migatronic Automig 233 MPS
Migatronic Sigma² 400 Pulse CW
Migatronic Pilot 2400 HP
CraigLam
    Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Citroen, talk about nice. That's alot like the millermatic.
pscampsr
    Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:27 am

I am also new here. I have a Clarke 190en that I use for fluxcore (it can do gas) and a Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i (mig/stick/tig) inverter machine. I have just had it for a couple of weeks and haven't yet worked in stick or tig with it. I really like the consistent arc and the quality drive.
PSCampSr

America will be free until the electorate discovers that it can feed at the public trough.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Cool , welcome to the groups, feel free to post about anything, questions projects. No matter how basic or small.

Mick
ImMark
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:03 am

Hobart Handler and it's pretty nice within it's limits (like any other 110V machine)
fisher
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:34 am

A WIA 150S for general steel work and a Kempi 350 Fast MIG pulse for Ally. Both are fabulous and easy to use machines.
And I don't work for either of those companies lol.
LesNewell
    Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:47 pm

I recently bought a Portamig 285HD to replace my old Miller 150. It is a much nicer machine and so much smoother than the Miller. Portamig are a fairly small UK company that make welders to order. They are basic transformer welders but they are really well built.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I have to wonder, if they make transformer welders to order, if they're not 100% copper wound? All the big makers have at least partly aluminum-wound transformers, and I always found the old copper-wound machines, like the Lincoln Pipeliners that are like gold on e-bay, to weld much smoother.

I suppose if I ever win the Powerball, I'll contact a company like that and have a silver-wound machine built! :D

Copper is a more efficient conductor than aluminum, and silver is the most conductive of the metals at normal temperatures. I'd have to have one made just to see. (And to say, "Yours is a what? Well, mines a... :lol: )

Steve S
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

With a silver wound machine, you could start your own line of high end signature welders.....The Nobedder series... your tagline could be..."cause there is Nobedder!"

I'll start working on the set for your infomercial.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder

delraydella wrote: I'll start working on the set for your infomercial.
LMAO!!! :lol:

I can't wait to scream, "BUT WAIT!"
semihemi
    Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:45 pm

i bought a used Lincoln idealarc 180 ... i learned on a hi dollar miller at my tech school but this one is good as gold
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
- WOW- What a Ride
chazmik
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:15 am

I have a hobart 175 handler and this thing is great,a friend has a htp mig and it goes just fine but i was wondering if he needs a part can he run down the road for it like i can...........But i do have my eye on the htp221...........
MojaveCliff
    Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:55 pm

I bought the HTP MIG 200. Put a 220 line in my garage and am one happy camper. A friend at work who is NHRA certified has had HTP for 20 years with no issues. The price was right for me, a bit less money than machines with similar capacity from other mfgrs. HTP literature says they are copper wound transformers vs competitor's aluminum wound units. I have to say, before looking at this welder's power supply, I had never see a transformer wound with what looks like sixteenth by eighth inch copper strip. One nit- the wire speed control is too easy to turn. Just touch it with the fuzz on a glove and it moves an increment. I'm a learner and not an experienced welder but I am happy with what this thing does.
Bought a Viking auto darken helmet, a cheap flame proof green jacket (reflects a lot of light into the helmet), 10 lb .030 and 10 lb .025 wire and, a 55 CuFt gas bottle. Wish I got the 88 CuFt. As an outsider looking in until now, I am having a blast using this thing and- finally being able to to no shit fab at will.
Years ago a buddy brought his harbor freight flux core machine over to fix my VW bus door hinge mount. The performance of that box convinced me to never by a cheap welder. It got it done but it as a pain. Sounded like series of pops and the welds looked the same. I like my machine. Like this forum too. A fellow jeeper told me about welding tips and tricks- best I've found. Life is good.

A tip on dials that turn too easy...

I like to stuff a little self-adhesive felt pad under the knob to add a little drag without making it tight.

I'll have to remember about HTP being copper-wound next time I'm in the market.

Steve S
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I have a pair of Millermatic 210 welders.
The first was bought on consignment from Weldco for $1200.
The second was bought from the metal recycler as parts for $40.

As far as MIG welders go, these are a pretty good investment.
I also have the spool gun that I bought on eBay for $300.
http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1325k_mil.pdf
Attachments
Millermatic 210.jpg
Millermatic 210.jpg (95.37 KiB) Viewed 1787 times

I see the box of kitchen matches... Is that for preheat? ;)

And, looking to the left of the welder, I'll say something I don't normally say to a man... Nice rack! :lol:
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

The photo is from the internet, but same machines as I own. (Too lazy to take my own photo.)
Otto Nobedder wrote:I see the box of kitchen matches... Is that for preheat? ;)
reddtigger
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 am

hi all. new to welding in general. played around with some 110 stuff years ago, just coldwelding the crap outta junk cars.. learned a boatload here on this site. thanks for having it !!!

Just got a MILLERmatic 212 W/ autoset and the Spoolmatic 200 spool gun. now i need to install another 230 outlet and get some gas.. the bottles around here (southern maryland) are very expensive.. best price so far is an 80cuft of ARG/CO2 for $175.00...

Looking forward to enjoying this machine soon enough
FRONT OF MILLERMATIC 212 AS
FRONT OF MILLERMATIC 212 AS
MILLER FRONT.jpg (46.21 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Just learning...... welding noob

Nice!

In all these years, that's the first time I've seen the face of an "autoset". I didn't realize you don't have to use an auto setting, so once you gain experience you can dial it for exactly what you need, rather than what the machine thinks you need.

If you want to own (rather than lease) a bottle, they're available on Craigslist, but you need to understand the certification date codes, or your "bargain" might need recertified in a month. Leasing from a supplier is a good choice as there's no waiting for fill; They handle the certification, and simply exchange the bottle, like old ten-cent-deposit soda bottles.

If you would rather "own", I can explain the date-stamps for you.

Steve S
reddtigger
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 am

I actually called the LWS today and found out renting is not overly expensive. $49.00 a year to rent and $43.00 for the gas. This is for a 140cuft cylinder. (I think he said 140, could have been 160cuft) so my initial out lay is under a Hundred.. and It's almost double capacity what the 80cuft bottle is for only a couple dollars more per fill..

One of the techs I work with said that his 150cuft cylinder is just about a large roll of wire so it makes consumable monitoring easier.. We'll see..

I had the option of going with just about any welder, I chose the 212 due to it's larger duty cycle and spoolgun package makes it ideal to start with aluminum right away..

Once I get the infrastructure to start welding, I'm sure I'll be asking questions and look forward to any help I can get.. Local community college does offer a welding class, but the cost is considerable for not being a full time career choice.. (maybe one day ! )
Just learning...... welding noob

Ask anything you want,

And, if you own the welder you want to learn, you'll learn more from Jody's videos for free than any community college can teach you for money.

Welcome to the community.

Steve S
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

Lincoln PowerMIG 300. I have a Python push-pull gun but haven't used it nor set it up, ever. One of these days I'll have to use it, if just to say I did. S/F.....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

MIGS,
New Here-What MIG machines are you guys running?
Millermatic: 251
Miller Spoolmatic: 30A
Millermatic: XP-130

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

Lincoln PowerMIG 300. I have a Python push-pull gun but haven't used it nor set it up, ever. One of these days I'll have to use it, if just to say I did. S/F.....Ken M
MIGS
Millermatic: 251
Miller Spoolmatic: 30A
Millermatic: XP-130

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC