mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
JP4
  • JP4
    Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Noob here too. Im rockin a millermatic 175. From what I see in forums these days its not very good but I would like to upgrade in the near future and get a updated machine.
CARS
    Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 am

I have a Lincoln SP135 at my home shop and use a Lincoln Power Wave 455 at work. Kinda opposite ends of the welding world :lol:
Christopher Rathman

Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service
semihemi
    Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:45 pm

i have a Lincoln idealarc 150 and i shield it with C02.... and i havnt come across anything yet that i cant mig with it....that reminds me i have i slight exhaust leak on my header that i should be fixing instead of in here fooling around with yall...... :D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
- WOW- What a Ride
welderkid556
    Sat May 11, 2013 1:21 am

hey bud, i have a hobart handler 140 and it works pretty well, it is actually manufactured by miller, so if anyone tries to say hobart isnt good then they are mistaken. my hobart has many miller parts. the welding gun is made by miller, the wirefeed mechanism made by miller. so if you are interested in ever upgradeing i would say take a serious look at millers and hobarts both. i have ran lincolns before and they were heavy industrial machines and they worked well but for some reason the lincoln i was running from the company had a issue with turning off in mid weld. maybe it had been spilled soda on 1 too many times by the locals??? but the miller 350p worked flawlessly and never gave me any trouble i was actually inlove with it. but here at home i run a hobart handler wirefeed 140, Airco dip-pak 200 - 220 wirefeed machine , and an everlast 200 dx tig welder. all 3 work flawlessly, but the airco is an old dinosoar thats ancient and they dont make parts for it anymore except for the tweco welding gun which is in need of replaceing. long story short id say if you ever want to upgrade i would say look at millers and hobarts. i have heard of HTP but never ran one of their machines.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

To be more accurate, they both are subsidiaries of Illinois Tool Works. (ITW)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Tool_Works
welderkid556 wrote:hey bud, i have a hobart handler 140 and it works pretty well, it is actually manufactured by miller, so if anyone tries to say hobart isnt good then they are mistaken. my hobart has many miller parts. the welding gun is made by miller, the wirefeed mechanism made by miller. so if you are interested in ever upgradeing i would say take a serious look at millers and hobarts both.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

At the ITW link provided by WerkSpace, there was also listed WIA - Welding Industries of Australia.
Does WIA manufacturer their own welders and/or commercialize products from other manufacturers?

Tanks.
Alexa
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

WIA is a very good Australian brand. Make their own welders, Historically in Aus but have recently moved to china, so I cant vouch for the quality now.

Mick
Migpig
    Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi all in the grand old USA using a Lincoln power tec 500 at the present with 24 f pro feeder water cooled fantastic machine very high duty cycle runs 1.6 metal and flux cored wire 12 hour shifts no problem a little rough on the old eyes mind you ;)
MobileWelder
    Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:15 pm

hi, new here. i use millermatic 252, 30a spoolmatic for alum.and when i,m mobile with my big blue 402d i'll hook up my 12v extreme suite case. wc-24 with spoolmatic for alum. or i'll just stick it.
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Lincoln 180C ( I do FCAW, but of course it can do GMAW)
Prestotig 165 (Air Liquide) for thin steel, using GTAW.

The Lincoln docs claim it can weld up to 12mm using 1.2 FCAW wire. I haven't tried this, but people say they have seen it done. Works well. These guys can weld, so I accept it.

Anyway, I am pleased with the Lincoln.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

i have a 110v lincoln 125 plus for home use. i run innershielsd nr- 311. so far no complaints.
CarpeCombat
    Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm Running With LiNcoln Electrics Power Mig 350MP, Its A Mig/Fluxcore, TIG, and Stick Machine That Really KClass Ass! Bought It Used Off Ebay...So Far No Problems At All.

a quick note this is a reply via my cell phone and I have no idea why its capitalizing the first letter of every word... please bear with me...

I have found a lot of value in using flux core wire of different diameters. specifically self shielded but using co2 cover gas works very well Too

Beer Me!
wquiles
    Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:00 am

Newbie here, with an HTP MIG 200:
steelworker
    Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:21 am

hi there,
im running with a EWM Phoenix 350A and a Kemppi Kempomat 250 A and im very happy with them...i´d try out a lincoln once and it works well too....but my oppinion is.... there is no good and no bad....at least the welder has to fit the metal....
;)
corfabrication
    Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:52 am

Lincoln dc600 with a ln7 feeder. Old dinosaur,no frills...
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Hobart Handler 140 with .030 ER70S-6 Steel wire with 75/25 argon/CO2 mix and Forney E71T-GS Flux Cored wire.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

CLARKE 160EN- Small duty, Although I did fluxcore a Lincoln locker( 3/8 plate welded diff)(I believe it will eventually break that case hardened steel, but hasn't yet). I have seen the Harbor Freight's and I would compare them as identical other than Clarke probably being a step up. I really hate the A,B,C amperage selection with min/max toggle. But so far an ok machine, hasn't crapped on me yet.

MILLER XMT304- School Use. I've gotten so used to the machine and it really is awesome. We use it on 3 phase, but are limited up to 1/2" thick Mild steel only. I wish I could take one home with me.

Future machine for garage use; For me would have to the FABRICATOR 211i or tweco now, Seems like the older manufactured units are coming down in price...Is that just me thinking this?
At our school A student(way to go Mike) won one of VICTOR's essay contest. So the school gets a Plasma Cutter, The Fabricator 211i, and a couple oxy cutting torches, maybe some more but I cant remember. All he won to himself was the 250$ from Victor. The school gets all the goodies... BAH!
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

When performing a " Lincoln locker " I would say stick welding with something like 309 is the way to go - done a bunch of them over the years quite successfully ( Esab "almat" rod ) - happy to say I now got a "Detroit" in the back & an " Airlocker " in the front.
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

I have 4 machines: Millermatic 175
Millermatic 210
Miller Thunderbolt ACDC (with scratch start tig setup)
HTP Invertig 220

I used the 175 with Lincoln NR 211 .030 fluxcore wire over the weekend to weld galvanized angle iron.
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

Mine is the older Hobart Handler 150, 220v machine. It's been great!
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

On 110 at the house a Power Mig 140 w /.023
In the barn a 198X Millermatic 200 w/.030
Both on CO2 since it's all real welders need :shock: :mrgreen:
    Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 am

Just bought a used Thermal Arc 181i with spool gun off of craigs list. Now I just need to learn how to use it....
PickWelder
    Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:15 am

As assessed Mig welder us. HTP is not the best welder brand.
Millermatic 211
http://pickwelder.com
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

@pickwelder please act less like a spammer in the way you speak , or you may be accidentally banned. Mick
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Pick welder,
I am sure you are sincere about wanting to help us all select a machine but I went back through your 5 current posts and everyone of them promotes your website. While I (we) dint mind your website in your signature I don't care for all your posts leading us back to it. You didn't even introduce yourself like most of the members do. I am afraid I will have to side with Mick on this one if you do not contribute to our forum in other ways as well.
-Jonathan