mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
moparpoor
    Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 pm

First off most of my welding is related to automotive repairs and racing.I am going for weld cert in aluminum mig welding.Two welds in three positions,plug weld and fill with backer,in flat,horizontal,and overhead.The problem the only time I weld aluminum with mig is on heavy castings like truck trans on the bench.I have heard spray transfer isn't recommended overhead do to poor results.Am I just overthinking it,should I just pick up the welder and practice using the basic techniques.Some input would be greatly appreciated!!!

spray transfer is just the way aluminum mig works.
but it cools so quickly that its not the same issue with the puddle being too hot and fluid as with steel for welding overhead.

the rules of thumb for mig welding aluminum are the same as for flat or horizontal...push the puddle whenever possible to avoid soot, use a longer stickout than you would for steel. snip the wire each time you stop and start. make sure to use pure argon and not argon/co2, and make sure to adjust the flow rate to get rid of soot but not too much to make the arc get rough and unstable.

good luck,

jody
moparpoor
    Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks for the reply.I took the test and passed with flying colors.I don't like mig welding aluminum period,I only use when forced to.I like my tig torch and the comforting hum and an end result that looks like it takes skill to complete.I really gained a dislike for aluminum welding when I was in southern Ga. welding aluminum boat hulls with a spool gun in a shop at 120degree temps