mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
FootSoldier
    Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:11 pm

I'm trying to figure out if my old Millermatic 35 can be modified to run flux-core wire. I only have the OEM 'V' groove wire drive wheels right now. I don't know if knurled wheels could be adapted or not? I have only seen roller wheels without the drive teeth, so I guessing not. Electrically, it seems like the only thing I'd have to do is switch to electrode negative, but I'm guessing there too. Seems to me that the drive gears will be the limiting factor?

Anyone ever hear of someone successfully making such a conversion?

If I could, there would be zero reason for me to consider another machine.

Thanks,

Steve
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

is there any major reason for getting self shielded fluxcore?
drive rollers will be the big issue, i have no idea if there is replacements available.

the other factor that you need to consider is if fluxcore will even run well. some machines will not run some wires.
a thread on here a little while ago, the wire they had required an inductance setting which the machine did not have.
tweak it until it breaks
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

My welder supplier didn't list a knurled roller so for a while I used a V grove roller with the outer V lips flattened down a bit with a fine diamond file card and it worked ok. This is using Outershield Flux Core ( not gasless) and a 15ft work lead. Tried it with gassless and feed was a bit erratic. Seemed like it's more flexible? I finally sourced the proper knurled roller from an aftermarket supplier in China at a reasonable price. I mic'ed the roller and searched by dimensions. Mine is fairly new so with an older machine, hard to say. ;)
FootSoldier
    Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:11 pm

tweake wrote:is there any major reason for getting self shielded fluxcore?
drive rollers will be the big issue, i have no idea if there is replacements available.

the other factor that you need to consider is if fluxcore will even run well. some machines will not run some wires.
a thread on here a little while ago, the wire they had required an inductance setting which the machine did not have.
I was just thinking that having the ability to run gasless would let me use the machine outside more easily. It's obviously to heavy to be "portable", but being able to work out on a slab without being bothered by the breeze would be a plus for me.

I don't think I could find drive wheels anyway. The machine is probably just too old.