mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
AtoSES
    Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:51 am

I currently have a 5x8 trailer but planning to make the fence taller with expanded steel.

The question is, would you take off the single trailer tongue and weld a new A-frame, or would you leave it and weld the A-frame to the tongue to make it rigid? Or is the added weight of the tongue in the middle not worth it? I know I'll have to replace the coupler if I start over but just looking for the expert's opinion.

The reason why I wanted to possibly add the A-frame (or replace it with) is the side-to-side wiggle I find with heavier load (but no more than 600 lbs I haul most of the time).

cwby
    Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

I would just add a couple of members to the tongue & call it good. No muss, no fuss.
FootSoldier
    Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:11 pm

cwby wrote:I would just add a couple of members to the tongue & call it good. No muss, no fuss.
What he said. Mush easier and accomplishes the same thing.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

cwby wrote:I would just add a couple of members to the tongue & call it good. No muss, no fuss.
Yep. and this avoids re-routing the electrical harness. Provides all the benefits, none of the downsides.
AtoSES
    Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:51 am

Awesome, thanks guys!
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

What do you mean by side to side wiggle? Is it the way the trailer tracks going down the road or is the tongue actually wiggling?
Multimatic 255
FootSoldier
    Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:11 pm

AtoSES wrote:The reason why I wanted to possibly add the A-frame (or replace it with) is the side-to-side wiggle I find with heavier load (but no more than 600 lbs I haul most of the time).
Like mentioned above, wiggling side-to-side could be an indication of a couple things. It may be that the trailer is loaded light on the tongue, or worst case, the axle is not square to the tow point.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

FootSoldier wrote:
AtoSES wrote:The reason why I wanted to possibly add the A-frame (or replace it with) is the side-to-side wiggle I find with heavier load (but no more than 600 lbs I haul most of the time).
Like mentioned above, wiggling side-to-side could be an indication of a couple things. It may be that the trailer is loaded light on the tongue, or worst case, the axle is not square to the tow point.
As mentioned, the side to side wiggle is a loading issue with too much weight to the rear of the axel and too little weight on the tongue. If the trailer pulls well empty center the load on or slightly ahead of the axel, not to the rear. The RH picture is a tandom which is probably at least 7000# gross thus the heavier "A" frame tongue as opposed to your little single axel which is likely max 3500#. On a single I always use the single tongue which is simpler and allows a jacknife in tight spots of almost 90% without hitting the jack. ;)
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

By extending the sides you will be effectively adding some weight to the tongue anyway as the majority of the added material will be ahead of the axel with no gain at the tailgate. If you haven't already spend a couple extra $ on a wheeled jack. Much easier to move around. :D