mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Chevyman97
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:38 pm

Hey guys new to the forum and relatively new to tig welding. I purchased a yes welder mig 205 ds multi process welder due to my budget and so far I have actually been very happy with the welder.

I do want to start welding aluminum as there are a couple of projects I would like to do in aluminum. Might mess around with DC tig welding with helium in the future. I saw with 100% helium this may be possible but I would much rather have a spool gun though.

Currently there is no spool gun available for this model and I was wondering if I can but a harbor freight spool gun and splice the wires (positive and negative) and put some dinse 35-50 style connectors on so it would plug into the machine. Anyone done this or have any better ideas?

Thanks for the input in advance!
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Just MY opinion here, but I wouldn't even waste my time with a spool gun on a less than top-of-the-line welder, and even then, I'd buy a different welder.

In all truth, you'd be better buying a stick welder and using aluminum rods for the little bit of aluminum welding you'll do.

Again, JMHO....
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Your risk with A HF mig gun is a mismatch on the voltage the welder supplies to the gun. Plus you need a way to disconnect your regular wire feed motor. It's a bit of work. I'd just go buy a HF welder. It will be easier.
Multimatic 255
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I doubt that would work. In theory it might “trigger” the spool to spit wire, but there is internal software associated with spoil guns (and other gun attachments) that is beyond the User “access and hack” realm.

It’s conceivable, but as Bug said, not worth the effort.

By the way, not a thing in the world wrong with a spool gun. Millions of miles of aluminum is welded by them annually.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

as above, i think you really need a machine that made for spool gun.
tweak it until it breaks