mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
RayTex
    Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:36 pm

I am just getting started, learning at home using WT&T video and some Lincoln Electric books. I am right handed.

Please clarify:

While Mig welding on horizontal flat plate pulling from left to right, is the "leading edge of the puddle" on the (1) left side of the electrode or (2) on the right hand side of the electrode. This will answer my questions. Thank you for your help with this most basic question. :?:
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Right side of electrode if the torch angle is near 90*. The puddle will be ever so slightly ahead of the wire going in, unless you lay the gun aimed backwards, behind where you just welded.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Similar to what cj737 said, so long as the travel speed is correct, then I agree. Reason being, the puddle is dynamic and evolves with time, as it is not a static event. If you happen to move too fast, regardless of gun angle it is possible to have the wire and arc completely out of the puddle, and that same situation would then have the leading edge of the puddle to the left side of the electrode. So, assuming a proper travel speed and no extreme mig gun angle, I agree it will be ever so slightly to the right of the electrode when going left→right.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Perhaps I think of it more simply. IMO, the leading edge of the puddle is always in the direction of travel. So if you're moving left to right, the leading edge of the puddle is always on the right. If you're moving right to left, the leading edge of the puddle is always on the left. It's basically just the furthest advanced portion of the weld/puddle.

If you're unable to fall within those bounds, then it just means that you're screwing up the puddle, and at that point, the matter of a "leading edge" is moot.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

RayTex wrote:I am just getting started, learning at home using WT&T video and some Lincoln Electric books. I am right handed.

Please clarify:

While Mig welding on horizontal flat plate pulling from left to right, is the "leading edge of the puddle" on the (1) left side of the electrode or (2) on the right hand side of the electrode. This will answer my questions. Thank you for your help with this most basic question. :?:
First off, welcome!

Second, why pull? MIG welding works beautifully as a push operation. You eventually need to be able to push, pull, go vertical, etc, but in the beginning pushing will be a lot easier.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Spartan wrote:Perhaps I think of it more simply. IMO, the leading edge of the puddle is always in the direction of travel. So if you're moving left to right, the leading edge of the puddle is always on the right. If you're moving right to left, the leading edge of the puddle is always on the left. It's basically just the furthest advanced portion of the weld/puddle.

If you're unable to fall within those bounds, then it just means that you're screwing up the puddle, and at that point, the matter of a "leading edge" is moot.
Wouldn't this change depending upon the hand used, or am I missing something?
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

G-ManBart wrote:
Spartan wrote:Perhaps I think of it more simply. IMO, the leading edge of the puddle is always in the direction of travel. So if you're moving left to right, the leading edge of the puddle is always on the right. If you're moving right to left, the leading edge of the puddle is always on the left. It's basically just the furthest advanced portion of the weld/puddle.

Wouldn't this change depending upon the hand used, or am I missing something?
nope.

spartan is on the money. easy way to remember it. doesn't matter what hand, push or drag, leading edge is always in the direction of travel.
tweak it until it breaks
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

RayTex wrote:I am just getting started, learning at home using WT&T video and some Lincoln Electric books. I am right handed.

Please clarify:

i assume your pulling because its flux core ?
are you using a fluxcore welder?

imho for learning to weld, go get a stick welder.
slightly harder to learn with, darn sight easier to setup, but more importantly it will teach you the basics which a lot of people tend to skip over when learning with mig. this will make you a better welder faster.
tweak it until it breaks
RayTex
    Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:36 pm

Thank all of you for your replies. I get it now: the leading edge of the puddle is toward the direction of travel, pull or push.

This WT&T video helps, starting at about 17 seconds: :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ods6Jp7hEh0&t=118s

Regards,
Ray