mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
ntm
  • ntm
    Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:03 pm

Are there any cons for spray or pulse-spray? On heavier work, say 1/4" to 1/2" mild steel, in the shop, is there any reason not to use spray transfer?
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

If your machine isn't capable of pulsed spray, then you can't do out of position stuff. Flat and horizontal only.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Metal deposition rates go up but so does the power requirements and cost of the machine. Not necessarily a drawback, but not in everyone’s cost benefit price range or need.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ntm
  • ntm

OK, I see what you're saying. So the con is that it's impossible if you don't have the right machine. Yeah, there's really no work-around for that.

I have a Millermatic 255 coming next week and I've been scrambling to get everything set up. There are so many degrees of freedom that it's difficult to make decisions and get things ordered. Lack of experience is a factor! But if I limit myself to spray, it simplifies the situation.

Thanks for the input.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

ntm wrote:OK, I see what you're saying. So the con is that it's impossible if you don't have the right machine. Yeah, there's really no work-around for that.

I have a Millermatic 255 coming next week and I've been scrambling to get everything set up. There are so many degrees of freedom that it's difficult to make decisions and get things ordered. Lack of experience is a factor! But if I limit myself to spray, it simplifies the situation.

Thanks for the input.
Why limit yourself to spray if that machine is capable of pulsed-spray? You can just use one gas for all your steel needs, and you're not limited to F/H positioning.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Oscar wrote: Why limit yourself to spray if that machine is capable of pulsed-spray? You can just use one gas for all your steel needs, and you're not limited to F/H positioning.
I read that to mean he would be eliminating short-circuit and only using spray/pulse spray since the overall title was just "cons of spray transfer" rather than "cons of pulse spray transfer".....maybe I missed something.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
ntm
  • ntm

G-ManBart wrote:
Oscar wrote: Why limit yourself to spray if that machine is capable of pulsed-spray? You can just use one gas for all your steel needs, and you're not limited to F/H positioning.
I read that to mean he would be eliminating short-circuit and only using spray/pulse spray since the overall title was just "cons of spray transfer" rather than "cons of pulse spray transfer".....maybe I missed something.
That's right. There's lots of information about short-circuit and plenty of comparisons on the information superhighway. Most of that content is designed for hobby folk, so it focuses on light-duty machines and thin metal. I think the Superior Welding podcast is the only place I've heard mention of spray being the norm.

Thanks for the advice.
ntm
  • ntm

G-ManBart wrote:
That's right. There's lots of information about short-circuit and plenty of comparisons on the information superhighway. Most of that content is designed for hobby folk, so it focuses on light-duty machines and thin metal. I think the Superior Welding podcast is the only place I've heard mention of spray being the norm.

Thanks for the advice.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Buy 90/10 gas and 0.035 wire and you really don't have to limit yourself to spray or pulse spray. The machine has settings for short circuit transfer and pulsed spray MIG transfer that will both work with 90/10 gas and 0.035 ER70-s6 wire. According to the manual, on short circuit, the 0.035 wire is good down to 20 gauge steel, same as the 0.030 wire. It is good down to 18 gauge on pulsed MIG. On the high end, they are both good up to 1/2 inch material.
Multimatic 255
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

ntm,
One "con" of spray transfer is it can cause serious warpage if not handled right. Go too slow and it will put too much heat input into the part and can warp it pretty bad. Of course spray might not be the best for sheet metal applications. It really depends on what you are doing with spray transfer.
-Jonathan Lewis
johnkruton
    Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:25 pm

Louie1961 wrote:
Buy 90/10 gas and 0.035 wire and you really don't have to limit yourself to spray or pulse spray. The machine has settings for short circuit transfer and pulsed spray MIG transfer that will both work with 90/10 gas and 0.035 ER70-s6 wire. According to the manual, on short circuit, the 0.035 wire is good down to 20 gauge steel, same as the 0.030 wire. It is good down to 18 gauge on pulsed MIG. On the high end, they are both good up to 1/2 inch material.
I have this exact setup Millermatic 255, 90/10 and .035 ER70-s6 wire. I wanted your advice (noob hobbyist) on tack welding 1/4” to 1/4”. I’m assembling my certiflat fab block 30x30. My prior beginner welds are definitely holding my little plasma table casters on as I used 1/4” plate with 1/4” plate triangle used as a support. I got to see a beautiful spray transfer shot as I was welding towards me on my bench. Was very exciting for a noob. So the issue I’m having is confidence in settings. The auto set and pulse mig puts so much metal down I’m burning back and/or making a mess. (Missing my fillet as it pushes me off my weld) I’m fine just using short circuit and I could switch gas to 75/25. I was fine making “Fido’s butt” on my home gamer casters but with $1000 table that I want to assemble the best I’m looking for others who’ve done more than me. Any suggestions on settings and tips ? That 255 has a monster nozzle compared to my LE Mp210 and I wondered if my CFH should be more than 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk