mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Dirtzuk
    Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:00 pm

Hello, Im new to pulsed spray welding and would like some help to get in the ball park for my welder settings.. Im running an Everlast 251si .. welding 1/4" carbon steel with .035 wire and 90/10 argon co2 gas .. Ive been playing with the machine and layed down a few ok beads but im really not sure if im even in the ball park with the pulse frequency hz, pulse time on % and also base pulse % .. any help would be great thanks!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I just checked out their manual for that machine to see if I could help you. What a joke (the manual) ! They expect YOU to do do the R&D work an engineer would typically have to do to work out the appropriate pulse parameters! 8 pages explaining how pulse works and I thought it would be followed by an awesome chart(s) for the end-user, but nope! They expect YOU to figure it all out, even though they could very well have easily populated some of those charts with ball-park figures! What a joke. Put that thing on your local craigslist or similar market-place and get yourself an HTP Pro Pulse 220MTS or Pro Pulse 300. You don't have to figure out any of that stuff. Just load up wire, hook up C10, set the pulse synergic program to the amperage you need (or via the approx material thickness) and tweak it just the tiniest bit for your specific joint geometry/orientation, and away you go. Done.

'nuff said. :D But really, if I had your machine in front of me, I'd love to try and figure it out as I'm pretty good with tweaking settings and what not. I hope you find the help you're looking for.
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Dirtzuk wrote:Hello, Im new to pulsed spray welding and would like some help to get in the ball park for my welder settings.. Im running an Everlast 251si .. welding 1/4" carbon steel with .035 wire and 90/10 argon co2 gas .. Ive been playing with the machine and layed down a few ok beads but im really not sure if im even in the ball park with the pulse frequency hz, pulse time on % and also base pulse % .. any help would be great thanks!
I don't know anything about your welder but this might give you a starting point (with Everlast 251si).

Intro to Pulse Welding (Part 1 of 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9jnvN4_kXU

Intro to Pulse Welding: Part 2 of 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK-SRKJ9I6U

Jack
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Jack, those are TIG videos, not MIG.

Oscar might seem a little overzealous in his support for HTP but that 220 MTS is an absolutely awesome welder. You will get perfect results on your very first trigger pull. I won't say it warrants a Craigslist sale and a purchase of a new machine, but I wouldn't argue the point too much either.
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

BugHunter wrote: Jack, those are TIG videos, not MIG.
Sorry, I didn't pay enough attention to the question.

Jack
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

You don't have to figure out any of that stuff. Just load up wire, hook up C10, set the pulse synergic program to the amperage you need (or via the approx material thickness) and tweak it just the tiniest bit for your specific joint geometry/orientation, and away you go. Done.
Very similar on my multimatic 255. Either set the material thickness (synergic) or set the WFS from the door chart and manually adjust (435 IPM). Voltage and pulse frequency are set automatically, with an option to control arc length and arc control (width of the arc cone...I suspect it is an inductance setting). The MM255 is super easy to use on pulse MIG. It also does a super nice job of short circuit MIG using the same C-10 gas.
Multimatic 255