mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Mark Dolan
    Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I just fired up my new Lincoln mig 180 Dual and am attempting to weld 1/8" steel. My settings using MIG Gas (75/25) and 110v outlet are as follows:

.o25 wire
Wire Speed: 3.5
Voltage: Max

Unfortunately, none of my welds are holding very well. IT appears I'm not getting enough penetration but I'm already at the max voltage. Am I asking too much of the welder at 110v? Should I bump up to 220v for 1/8" steel? Technically, I shouldn't have to based on Lincoln's guides, but see is believing? Any input would be appreciated. I'm very new to Mig welding.
Fluxedup
    Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:06 am

Preheat! Try a little weave and count. -> hold 123 <- hold 123
Fluxedup
Mark Dolan

Thanks for the input. Another issue. I have had trouble with the Lincoln 180 Dual wire feed system using .o25 wire. Twice now the wire just stops coming out. As a result, I have to stop everything and rewire. It turns out when i have a setting any lower than 3.5 on the front, the wire bunches up right at the gun line opening inside the machine. There are a number of manual adjustments I can make (Tension adjuster, Thumbscrew at the wire roll), but is there a recommended adjustment setting or is it all just trial and error?

Thanks
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Take off the tip of the torch and see if the wire will feed. You may need a new tip.

Make sure the line is as straight as possible from the roller to the torch.

It also could be old or dirty wire. Could be a chunk of something in the line. Try blowing out the liner with air from both directions.

There is a wire lubricator/cleaner sold but I've only read about it - never used it.

Wire speed should not make much difference if it is an obstruction.

The tension and feed roller are fine if the wire bunches up after the feed roller.
Mark Dolan

Excellent, thanks GWD
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

I have never used wire that small, although I have had feed problems with various migs before. A major problem with thin wires is that you need the tension high enough to push the wire, but if it can't travel out of the gun, ie: clogged tip or bent liner, the force of the required tension just bends the thin wire were you said. A general rule is to turn the tension down so that you can stop the wire coming out with your hand and he drive rolls will keep turning. Not sure if that applies to your situation though. The best idea is when ever the welder stops, stop pulling the trigger and check the situation at the rollers.

Don't Give up. You have a good machine there and it will work well when you get your bugs worked out. Try calling the Lincoln Customer hotline, they might be able to help you more specifically.

Hope this helps.
Mick