mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Mark Dolan
    Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I just finished my first job with my new Lincoln Mig 180 Dual using Argon/Oxy mixture. When I went to shut down for the night, I noticed that while the line pressure dropped, the tank pressure guage did not drop. Its stuck at 150 psi. I went thru my shutdown procedure again and it still remains stuck at 150 psi? Any ideas on how to release the pressure from the tank to the regulator? I don't know why it would be any different than when i shut down my propane/oxy tank.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

If you have the cylinder valve closed and pull the trigger, the gauge should drop down. First the flow rate then the cylinder pressure. If it is still stuck, take the reg off the cylinder (valve still closed), That will tell you if the pressure is the reason that the needle is stuck or the needle is just stuck. That happens sometimes. (Faulty reg)

Hope this helps.
Mick
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Before you pull the trigger to purge the gas, make sure you turn the wire speed to it's lowest setting or you'll run off a lot of wire needlessly.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

We have a "No Name" MIG welder that is distributed by Air Liquide. It is similar to a Miller M250. It has a button on the front panel for "purge" that is very useful to check your gas flow without running out any wire. Why don't all machines have this feature?
In the case of the Lincoln 180, I guess you could flip the feed roller tension knob up and not feed any wire either, but it would be a pain.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Ultralow

I wish I had that "purge "button on mine. It could really come in handy. I've seen pictures of them on older tig machines, i don't know why they got rid of them.

What I would really like to see is a "reverse" button, a switch that could pull the wire back in and put it back on the roll. I can't count the number of times I've set the gun down only to have the trigger get pushed on some edge and then the wire starts rolling out several feet before I notice it. Do any machine designers read these boards???

Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Not likely they are all in the office with their heads up their rear ends. I took a piece of wire and attached it to the top of my welding booth. I hang my gun off that wire so it doesn't hit anything. Thats for my Tig Gun but it would work for a mig gun too.