mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Gatorshooter
    Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:23 pm

LWS has one in stock and on sale. Counter guy was not sure if it runs pulse MiG. He was pushing me to Miller.
I like the fact of 110/220 power and weight. Want to be able to pulse MiG aluminum. This is a hobby so can’t swing 3k for Miller. Anyone got experience with it?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have a Lincon 210mp. As far as mine goes, you can only weld aluminum with a spool gun. And mine doesn’t have pulse that I’m aware of.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Unless you buy a dedicated MIG machine, I’m unaware of a multi-process box that does pulse MIG. And for “hobby” welding, you don’t need pulse.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

The 210MP doesn't offer pulse, and nothing else south of $3K does either except for maybe a couple of the Chinese imports. About the least expensive will be the Multimatic 255 or HTP's Pro Pulse 220. The other models from Miller, Lincoln and HTP will be a fair amount more expensive.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
Gatorshooter

Thanks for the info!
So with the 210mp off the table! So what are the opinions on Everlast’s PowerMTS 251Si Pulse MIG ? Only have experience with one everlast machine it’s a inverter “lunchbox” that seems to run 3/32 7018 ok. Low duty cycle but got it used on the cheap for a limited use. Not a lot of experience with their equipment…
They do show up with several reviews when I searched for pulse mig????
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

IMO, your best bet for a pulse-MIG in the 200A "class" is the HTP Pro Pulse 220MTS (it does MIG-TIG-Stick, so it is indeed multi-process). You can do pulse aluminum MIG without a spoolgun, using an aluminum-dedicated MIG gun. Aside from Everlast, no one else really offers a reputable pulse-MIG that is less-than-300A machine. Two videos I've seen on YouTube both show the everlast machines have the pulse-frequency tied to the voltage offset, which is odd to me based on what I've read about pulse operation. For some reason both times the arc length was too long, and when they attempted to reduce the "trim" to reduce voltage to in-turn shorten the arc length, it also dropped the pulse-frequency. I believe that makes for a non-optimum scenario. Also, the 251si is non-synergic. Their manual has "worksheets" where they expect you to figure out all the pulse parameters on your own. That kind of operation is not for everyone. Most people would benefit more from a synergic machine in which the welding engineers have already figured out all the nitty-gritty details so the operator can have a more "pleasant" experience and just get to welding.
Last edited by Oscar on Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

for pulse mig you really need to look at euro machines or euro based machines (htp ?).

i have a cheap multi that has pulse mig. very handy for welding thin aluminium (under 2mm).
tho its really basic and the pulse is not adjustable.

keep in mind with pulse you want a big machine. mines 180 amp and its max on pulse is 2mm aluminium.
i was looking at getting its big brother which is 250 amp that will do a lot thicker on pulse.
tweak it until it breaks
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Generally speaking, most hobby welding doesn't really call for pulse MIG. What sort of projects are you considering that would benefit from pulse?
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
Gatorshooter

I do a little repair on aluminum boats/trailers. Some out of position stuff, mostly for friends. But lately I’ve built some furniture and am enjoying it. So thinking min. Spatter and pretty welds should go well for me. I can tig so that’s always a option. May turn into a small scale side hustle..
My old mig with spool gun died so just want a new mig machine, something that has the new tech that is more portable

If you plan do 1/4" either often or physically long welds, your best bet is a 300A class machine. Otherwise an HTP 220MTS would be a perfect fit IMO, once it comes back in stock. Website shows out of stock right at now.
Gatorshooter

Oscar, thanks! Yep, out of stock back order! I looked at the htp 220 and read several reviews, looks great! so I don’t need a spool gun to run alum? I’m pretty sure I don’t need all that it’s capable of, at this point. The Thickest alum i mess with is .09” to .125”. But I’m torn between getting what I need right now or (buy once cry once) and seeing if I can get some side hustle work?? I live in the gulf south so their are more than a few shops around my town that are already established that do boat repair so not sure if I can get enough business to make it pay back. ( read that as “my business degree kicks in and I talk myself out of the cool toys….” )

Gatorshooter wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:40 am Oscar, thanks! Yep, out of stock back order! I looked at the htp 220 and read several reviews, looks great! so I don’t need a spool gun to run alum? I’m pretty sure I don’t need all that it’s capable of, at this point. The Thickest alum i mess with is .09” to .125”. But I’m torn between getting what I need right now or (buy once cry once) and seeing if I can get some side hustle work?? I live in the gulf south so their are more than a few shops around my town that are already established that do boat repair so not sure if I can get enough business to make it pay back. ( read that as “my business degree kicks in and I talk myself out of the cool toys….” )
That thickness aluminum won't be any problem at all. They offer spool guns for the 220MTS but they are pricey German units that cost almost as much as the machine itself, lol. But no, you can use an 8ft dedicated MIG gun for aluminum, which is only about $150. Load up a big ol' 12"/16lb spool of aluminum, a big tank of argon (you need ~45 CFH when MIG'ing aluminum), use high-heat CuCrZr tips, and go to town...

Just FYI from what I've been told these MIGs have been selling out pretty fast since the factory production rate has slowed down. When I placed an order for a machine in mid-June they said it would arrive with the next shipment of 220MTS's, in about 8 weeks. So perhaps early September-ish by the time stuff gets unloaded and delivered to HTP. I'd get on the waiting list if you're contemplating it. If you change your mind when they call you, they just go down the list to the next person waiting.

As for making the money back, perhaps you can advertise mobile-work that perhaps not all the other shops offer? Do you have a generator?
KenO
    Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:21 pm

Just some good words on the HTP 220. I was skeptical because my previous tries at Alum Mig without a spool gun was not good, constant problems feeding.

The HTP works as descibed without a spoolgun. I've run a few pounds without a hangup, and the double pulse is cool, made it look like I knew what I'm doing.

Just a heads up if you order one, you get one mig gun included. The aluminum gun is much more expensive, so order that with your welder. Then, order the steel gun as an option. Both drive roller sets will be included.

I've used the spray pulse function on steel by putting a "Y" between my C25 and Argon tank to get the aprox mix of C10. Its been fun playing with this thing.

Also, the customer support has been great, I have called many times needing help with setting up the programs, and other stuff. Usually got a live person, if not, a callback real quick, even on weekends. So far, so good.....
Miller Dialarc 250
Hobart 140
Miller legend 200 AEAD engine drive
HTP 220 MTS
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I am pretty satisfied with my Miller Multimatic 255. It does pulse mig quite well. It will also run aluminum without a spool gun if you order the special whip for aluminum. Or you can put almost all Miller spool or push pull guns on this machine. It does mig/pulse mig/tig/pulse tig and stick...DC only
Multimatic 255
Gatorshooter

Just when I was trying to justify in my mind the HTP, I’ve a aluminum welding job rolling in this evening , to get done in the next week, So with the htp back ordered. Ordered a everlast 200E & a spool gun for now. This job should pay for it. Did I make a mistake??? I guess we will find out! I guess I can always unload it later when the 220 becomes available. This what I get for running my mouth about being able to do alum repairs again.
( “Obtw, can you ….Sure, when I get my mig set up…can you get it done by next weekend…. 😳
Gatorshooter

I can say the everlast guy I talked to was knowledgeable and steered me away from the pulse set up to the E model said it should do what I need. Hope it works?

Yea I was talking to one of the HTP rep's and production and shipping/importing from Europe is very slow right now. Slower production + slower activity at the shipping ports is killing them atm. That 200E is not a pulse-model so without going into spray mode you might have incomplete fusion if you attempt lower-amperage welding on thin material. Keep it, have the job pay for it, and when you get the HTP 220MTS you can give a review of both. :D
Gatorshooter

That’s kind of what I’m thinking. Spray mode.
I’ll run a few test welds and cut see what gives me best penetration. Do y’all think putting slight bevel on the T joints will help? Preheat? Just thinking it through at this point. Job sitting in front of shop right now . Will get the tape out and measure/plan/ get material list This evening. Welder be here next week.
Any suggestions on settings to get best spray transfer or get me in ball park will be appreciated. Think I already have 5356 1lb spools in the shop. Argon tank is ready to go. Thinking 3/16 or 1/4” alum 3” channel will be strong enough for this application. I do have some 1/4” alum angle in my scrap rack to practice on.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Pulse mig really seems to be the future, especially for those 200 amp class machines without enough grunt to run stick electrode sized dual shield wire or stable spray transfer, but have more power than it takes for simple self shield or short circuit mig. Especially If I'm remembering Oscar right in thinking that he said it doesn't work the same as pulse tig, where it'll always be some fraction of your machine's maximum output, rather pulse mig if I'm remembering correctly, averages out to the settings selected if that makes sense. In other words, if you max out a tig machine and turn pulse on, the highest peak will only be the maximum setting on the machine while the average will be far lower, but pulse mig may have current pulses approaching 300 amps, but averaging out to the advertised output of the machine. Am I misremembering things Oscar?
Gatorshooter

got the spoolgun all prepped and did a few test runs to get it dialed in.. contact went out or something got good gas flow and post flow working. But drive rollers a no go. Pulled tip and wire out of spoolgun still no roller movement. Installed the regular gun same thing no roller movement. Will see how the warranty works out. Good news ( not really ) is that do to the current hurricane situation going to be no rush on getting project done….. we haven’t seen any major rain yet so possibly this mess misses me. Prayers for my friends on the east side of the state…

sbaker56 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:45 pm Pulse mig really seems to be the future, especially for those 200 amp class machines without enough grunt to run stick electrode sized dual shield wire or stable spray transfer, but have more power than it takes for simple self shield or short circuit mig. Especially If I'm remembering Oscar right in thinking that he said it doesn't work the same as pulse tig, where it'll always be some fraction of your machine's maximum output, rather pulse mig if I'm remembering correctly, averages out to the settings selected if that makes sense. In other words, if you max out a tig machine and turn pulse on, the highest peak will only be the maximum setting on the machine while the average will be far lower, but pulse mig may have current pulses approaching 300 amps, but averaging out to the advertised output of the machine. Am I misremembering things Oscar?
Exactly right. The peak pulse must be very high amps (and volts) because it is intended to be a single "spray" event where a single droplet is propelled across the arc. So for that to happen, the instantaneous amperage and voltage must cross their respective thresholds. This is referred to ODPP (One Droplet Per Pulse) operation, which is one of may types of pulse MIG transfer methods that have been devised.
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Oscar wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:56 pm Exactly right. The peak pulse must be very high amps (and volts) because it is intended to be a single "spray" event where a single droplet is propelled across the arc. So for that to happen, the instantaneous amperage and voltage must cross their respective thresholds. This is referred to ODPP (One Droplet Per Pulse) operation, which is one of may types of pulse MIG transfer methods that have been devised.
It seems logical that the peak (pulse) current would be higher than the rated current. In fact, the relationship between the pulse peak and the non pulse (rated) welding currents can probably be calculated knowing the pulse width (%) given that the average current must be limited to the rated current.

In reality it is difficult to verify though because the actual operation of pulse MIG is often hidden behind a synergic knob, the pulse is specified as a voltage or some other obfuscating feature.

Jack