mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

MIG Should be called FIG.
Silly I know, but Filler Inert Gas makes more sense to me.
guess I've been welding galvo or around degreasers too long.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Welders don't seem to be too worried about using the correct terminology...at least for the most part.

The term MIG isn't really correct unless you're welding aluminum with 100% argon.

The normal gasses for steel or stainless aren't inert, so it simply can't be "Metal Inert Gas" and be correct. That's part of why the more moderns/correct name is GMAW....Gas Metal Arc Welding.

Flux core and dual-shield only add to the confusion.

The good thing is it's great fodder for internet arguments. Toss in the incorrect term "ground cable/clamp" and you can really get a good battle going online....lol
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

G-ManBart wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:15 pm Welders don't seem to be too worried about using the correct terminology...at least for the most part.

The term MIG isn't really correct unless you're welding aluminum with 100% argon.

The normal gasses for steel or stainless aren't inert, so it simply can't be "Metal Inert Gas" .....
yeah, thats why its called MAG. quite common to see a welder listed as a mig/mag welder.
tweak it until it breaks
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Metal In Gap :lol:
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

tweake wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:57 pm
G-ManBart wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:15 pm Welders don't seem to be too worried about using the correct terminology...at least for the most part.

The normal gasses for steel or stainless aren't inert, so it simply can't be "Metal Inert Gas" .....
yeah, thats why its called MAG. quite common to see a welder listed as a mig/mag welder.
Even MAG isn't always correct. If someone is using straight C02 it's MAG, if they're welding aluminum with 100% Argon is MIG and if they're using a mix of C02 and argon (or a tri-mix) it's neither. GMAW is the only overarching term that isn't at least partially wrong.

MIG and MAG are sub-sets of GMAW.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Well just to add a twist, all the formal literature I have seen from the welding machine manufacturers and the American Welding Society call it GMAW (gas metal arc welding) not MIG or MAG. Likewise flux core is FCAW, and TIG is GTAW
Multimatic 255