mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Fred Rezfield
    Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:06 pm

hi there
i was wondering if you could help me trying to build this box i have a 3/8" thick plate (11 by )
and i have this square tubing 1/4" thick walls
what;s the best way , or welder , or set up to weld the tubing to the plate?
thank you in advance
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hi Fred,
it depends on a few things mate, type of stainless. purpose of finished result. for instance a box in the middle of nowhere could be done with a stainless stick weld. easily, especially if its 6mm thick and 10mm thick.
just match the sticks i.e 316 to 316 parent metal for instance and there will be amps guide on the pack that will be in ballpark.
If it is architectural then tig would look nicer. but thats a fair sized joint.
I wouldnt recommend flux core staino for small jobs as it is not cheap and can be fussy about gas. I am not sure if there is one that isnt dualshield, consult the lincoln consumable guide, usually if its not in there or in the eutectic catalogue it dont exist. if it is, sometimes someone else makes it cheaper. you may get what you pay for though.
if its just 304 or 316 I would get the right sticks and do it neat if its a one off job.
If you are unsure, consult the lincoln consumables guide and I think the other companies would make a guide too.
hope it helps mate.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

there some self shielded fluxcore for stainless, no idea if suitable for that job. i have not used it, but i know its around.
not sure about dual shield.
but anything of that thickness good old stick welder will do the job.
tweak it until it breaks
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi Fred

Some info as to what equipment you have, how and where the item will be welded, you comfort and experience level etc would sure help in giving you a better answer.

Yes, there is flux cored stainless wire. I have maybe 6-8 twenty-five to thirty-three pound spools of it. It came from a dispersal auction of a large outfit that welded really big pipe and very large structural weldments. It appears to all be dual shield and I need to dig around for more info on it. If I understand things correctly it was used (among other thing) for roots passes on thick wall pipe.

And yes, it's expensive as most of it seems to retail in the $13-20 a pound range with a couple of rolls of really price wire at closer to $30 a pound......

Best regards,

Lance
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
Ballistic308
    Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Like this stuff? Probably would want to replace the liner if the mig setup was used for something else other than SS.

https://bakersgas.com/products/bluedemo ... 0gQAvD_BwE
RacerRon
    Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:35 pm

I have a small spool of flux core stainless wire that is blue devil brand. It was purchased for a project that ended up going another direction so, I have not tried it. From what I had read, it did not make the nicest looking welds but it works. Most wires that I came across were the dual shield variety that have already been mentioned.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Regardless of the method used to weld it, stainless oxidizes on the back side of the weld if the back side is not shielded from the atmosphere (called sugaring). Sugaring can weaken the mechanical properties of stainless and can also cause it to rust. This is commonly prevented by purging the backside with 100% argon
Multimatic 255
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Yes, still needs to be purged on the back side. It's finicky too. I've seen plenty of ss flux core fillets and butts with coldlap edges. Craftsmen get it right. Novices don't.
I've seen flat end air and vacuum receivers with leaking joints come out of boiler shops. Nasty.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'