mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Nigel Pisswater
    Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:26 am

I am new to welding, using a Miller Multimatic 200 with c100 gas. Usually welding on 1/8" plate. I am looking for ways to improve my welds. I know that the number 1 thing is practice, but is there any other tips or tricks anyone knows that might help? Thanks
Attachments
mig9-17-21.jpg
mig9-17-21.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 1011 times
I tore my nutsack playing badminton in middle school
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hello Sir Pisswater,
Unfortunate surname :lol: Before we get started I’ve often thought badminton was a rough sport and I suppose those sorts of things will happen when giving a 110% :D
Your welds look ok, just a bit of tweaking though.
The volts could creep up one or two or bring wire speed down a bit. If you push with solid wire about 10 15 degree push angle and torch angle 90 degree to plate, or if fillet 45 degrees then swirl wire in a backspin type motion only about a 1mm radius as you move forward then wets a bit better too. If you can play with the inductance setting I.e. turn it up to 50% plus, this helps a bit as well. And then of course the usual stuff, clean plates good fit up etc. otherwise your pretty close to it. Grinding a light straight line helps, use a 2mm disc or equivalent to make a mark and the blue light lady will guide the way as you do a tight swirl using the line as your centre. It’s hard to explain, it’s more of a controlled Circular tremor than a large swirl you will get the hang of it. The idea is too keep wire close to the root for constant peno but swirl to help it wet out out better.
1mm disc is a bit too dangerous if you are new at it and grinding discs are cumbersome.
C100 gas is not some thing of heard of or they just must call it something else down here. I use the plain 75% 25 % gas.
You may have to adjust settings for different gas but nothing major, just a bit.
I’d steer clear of tennis too, judging from all the grunting it prolly hurts more than badminton.
Have fun.