mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
NT Unique

Hi
I currently have a question that no one seems to be able to answer for me. I make custom plate boats and do various modifications to other boats, I have always used E5356 wire with no real dramas. However it have been suggested to me to use E5183, due to the fact that it has a better corrosion resistance and feeds much better through the gun. Although this is true is also has a lower ductile rating when used for welding 5083 plate together. Now the higher ductile rating is something that I would rather have over a little higher corrosion resistance.
Dose any one have any real world experience or test results between the two? I have been told by a fellow welder that I highly respect, that you get more difference between the two types by the quality of gas, torch angle and speed. As the differences that are published are measured in the lab and are very minor.
I suppose I looking for some one that has tried it and has a horror story or success story.

Cheers
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Used the crap out of 5183 as TIG filler on a cold box... a machine designed to extract argon, oxygen, and nitrogen from air. This was filler on 6061T6 pipe. I'm sure the engineers selected it for ductile stength under stress (hot/cold cycling to -320F), rather than the ease of achieving x-ray quality ( ;) ).

I'm not sure how this information translates to the stresses incurred on a boat hull, so take it for what it's worth.

Steve