mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Cowboyhunt
    Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Hey guys, i am new to the forum and fairly new to welding in general. My dad has a restaurant and he broke one of his chafing stands. It is fairly thin stainless steel. It was spot welded originally. My question is can i tack weld it with just standard mig wire? I was trying to avoid buying a full roll of wire for 2-4 tacks. It doesn’t have to be pretty it will not be seen. Just needs to hold. I do have TIG capabilities with one of my machines but have not tried it yet. Thanks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It is best to use stainless wire on stainless material. If you can run your TIG machine, buy the smallest amount of 308L TIG wire in 1/16 and weld with that.

For amperage with your TIG, for spot welding, use the formula of 90%/0.001 of material thickness. If the stand is made from less than 1/16 thick material, you can even drop to a thinner diameter filler wire, but the 1/16 will prove useful to have on hand for other tasks that arise.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

with mig you also need the proper gas.

with tig, you could do it without filler. but it needs to be a tight fit up. (also needs argon not mig gas).
tweak it until it breaks
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

I know Ive said this before in other spots and I swear I'm not on comission from sibronze suppliers :lol:
But tig brazing is a good remedy for broken spot welds because it takes less heat so you mininmise damage to SS and still get same strength of an average spotweld. It is easier for a beginner to do on thinner stuff, I thinks anyway. Its fun.
And you can find a nice 1.6mm stick or two at most Local Welding Shops.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

If possible I'd do a fusion weld on it with a quick burst from a Tig torch.

When it's commercial food stuff you have to think of how it will look down the road if you weld it with carbon.pretty sure it wouldn't comply with most health codes if welded with carbon filler as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i have some stainless stuff at work thats been welded with steel and its all rusty.
food inspector would throw a fit.
also even stuff thats not been passivated will rust around the weld area and looks awful. just another spot for inspector to bitch about.

so even if you tack it back in place, its going to need acid treatment to clean it up.
tweak it until it breaks