mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
hpdrifter
    Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:01 am

Been lurking for quite a while and reading about Spray mig/mag and it has really piqued my interest. I also saw some suggestions on looking for used equipment instead of new to save some $$$.
I ran across a Thermal Arc Powermaster 320SP...no leads.

I went and found the Tweeco torch that the repair manual/pars list showed(Pulsemaster).
It would cost more than the TA would cost.
So, my questions are; Do you need a Pulse type torch/handle for full benefit?. Not necessarily full function, like digital/remote adjustment. I know a cheaper gun will not have that.
Can any type gun, preferably rated for 300A or so, be used with correct connections?

Truth be told, the price on this is unbelievable, if it works and is not stolen. I kinda feel like it may be one them internet hoaxes. I'm gonna call tomorrow and try to see if it is real. Just doing some preliminary footwork.
I was just dreaming about a big Mig and went looking. Daaaang, I ran into something that is just irresistable, but I'm on a limited budget and this is gonna put a dent....somewhere. The $700 gun is gonna have to wait.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

If you want to use axial spray transfer, you need a heavy duty MIG gun with large contact tips, IMO of course. Amperage ratings may be deceiving if they are intended for short circuit. Spray and pulsed-spray "de-rate" the MIG gun about 25%, usually. So go up 25% from the get-go, and you'd be better off IMO.
hpdrifter

Thanks, appreciate the info.

As much as I hate to pass this up, it's more than I can play with right now. I think it's a heck of a steal at $500. Maybe too good to be true.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

hpdrifter wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:55 pm Thanks, appreciate the info.

As much as I hate to pass this up, it's more than I can play with right now. I think it's a heck of a steal at $500. Maybe too good to be true.
i suspect its way to good to be true.
its either stolen and they have no idea what it is, or its faulty which is why they kept the leads.

you have to be careful with commercial gear because most shops run machines into the ground and its sold off when its of no use.
tweak it until it breaks
hpdrifter

my thoughts also. I asked, via email, if it is still available but no answer as of yet.
It said, "Like New" hehehehe. I'm not experienced enough to know.
If I figured it wouldn't hurt the pocket book too much, I'd liked to have a look see, but with needing $700+ leads, it's not that time.
I just bought a Tig unit and still trying to learn that fairly well.
Had a couple of setbacks(Tig not going well) lately and I've got a small MIG that will do what I NEED done. If I do anything, it'll probably buy a Amazon special;200 amp or more. I can LEARN more on one of them and leave the guess work on used until I get some more experience.I'm an old guy that like knobs and adjustments, er a, menus and adjustments these days. Being inexperienced that's probably not a good thing tho.

Thanks