mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Mousegun
    Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Just set up my MIG welder to use .045 dual shield wire and made a few test welds. (Don't laugh at the welds....literally the first quick and dirty test run.)
A couple of times I got these funny worm tracks lengthwise down the weld....never seen that before.
My settings were 23.5v and 300 ipm and about 30 cfh of 75/25 gas. The wire is Hobart Fabco Excel Arc 71 (E71T-1M H8)

Any idea what's causing the tracks?
Worms.jpg
Worms.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 8163 times
settings.jpg
settings.jpg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 8163 times
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Mousegun wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:37 pm Just set up my MIG welder to use .045 dual shield wire and made a few test welds. (Don't laugh at the welds....literally the first quick and dirty test run.)
A couple of times I got these funny worm tracks lengthwise down the weld....never seen that before.
My settings were 23.5v and 300 ipm and about 30 cfh of 75/25 gas. The wire is Hobart Fabco Excel Arc 71 (E71T-1M H8)

Any idea what's causing the tracks?

Worms.jpg

settings.jpg

If the metal properly prepared and is clean, and the flux core wire has been stored correctly (has not absorbed moisture), most likely there is not enough stick-out.

Jack
Mousegun
    Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Doing better.....
It was a brand new roll of wire out of the bag so I don't think moisture is a problem and I'd ground the scale off the work with a flap disk.

I think the problem was mostly stick-out distance. I was holding longer than usual but it seems this needs a really long stick-out...nearly and inch.
I slid the nozzle out about 1/4" to encourage me to increase the distance.

Like I said, I'm new to this process but it looks like it'll be nice. From one video I watched it looks like a good vertical uphill process too.....they increased the wire speed and got a flatter bead with no electrode manipulation. It's basically like solid wire MIG spray transfer, but without the need for special gas mix.

I've got a little learning to do.
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Mousegun wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:56 am Doing better.....
It was a brand new roll of wire out of the bag so I don't think moisture is a problem and I'd ground the scale off the work with a flap disk.

I think the problem was mostly stick-out distance. I was holding longer than usual but it seems this needs a really long stick-out...nearly and inch.
I slid the nozzle out about 1/4" to encourage me to increase the distance.

Like I said, I'm new to this process but it looks like it'll be nice. From one video I watched it looks like a good vertical uphill process too.....they increased the wire speed and got a flatter bead with no electrode manipulation. It's basically like solid wire MIG spray transfer, but without the need for special gas mix.

I've got a little learning to do.
Glad you got it sorted.

The uncomfortably long stickout is required to preheat the flux so that it is properly activated at the business end.

A lot of flux core wires do operate in a spray mode. Ingredients in the flux promote that mode of transfer and an argon rich shielding gas is not required. The recommended gas is often C100 or C25.

And I think we all have learning to do.

Jack
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Also excessive voltage may be a contributing factor, so just double check that you are in the correct range of acceptable values, and don't skimp on the shielding gas flowrate. A lot of CO2 is needed for proper operation (not just the proper ratio), so keep it no less than 35 CFH is what I've found.