mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Adam35C
    Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:40 pm

So I make some small light bar housings for boats and do a lot of boat work. I currently TIG the light bar housings due to the size of them and heat. Roughly a 3” side box with an end cap on each end that’s welded on and small brackets inside, not the problem. But the side plates involve about 9” of weld on both ends for a piece that’s only 12-14” long. Regular mig with a spool gun puts in too much heat And things start to warp bad. Will pulse mig help in this scenario to speed things up?

I also have a couple boat projects coming up that I’ll be welding .090 sheets together for about 12-14’, would that help with that too? I don’t know much about mig pulse for this thin of aluminum. Everything I find people are doing thicker material.

Thanks!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Welding anything that thin will cause warpage regardless of the method. Chill bars, patience, clamping are about the only means of avoiding it. You can MIG it using pulse, but you’ll have to run stitches and sip around a great deal to avoid making a taco out of the material.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

pulse is fine at that thickness.
thats actually the max thickness for pulse on my machine.
tweak it until it breaks