mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
rockwind1
    Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:54 am

i bought my millermatic 35 probably back in the mid 80's. i haven't used it in quite a while, but need to weld up some mild steel in various degrees of cleaniness, it's steel that has been laying around in some cases. it's at my ranch and i don't have the argon gas tank for it anymore so seemed easier to just get some flux core. one thing i remember about wirefeeding is that the gas kind of sucked for welding outside.

what i would appreciate,, is where is the place where i will get a decent price for some flux core? i hate shopping around endlessly on some of these crappy websites where you have to spend 10 minutes putting in your info to get some insane shipping charge and sales tax suddenly added onto my bill.

also,, i think i need .035 size wire. do i need EXACTLY that size? will other sizes fit.

is fluxcore the best wire for welding outside,, with the wind and all.

one of my jobs is welding big thick d-rings onto a trailer. has to be at least 1/4' thick plates,,, will flux core work?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Flux code is most commonly available in 0.030, 0.035 and 0.045 thickness. 0.030 will handle your 1/4” work easily, but 0.035 will also. Remember, FC welds in DCEN not DCEP. No gas needed, yes it’s very good at outdoor work.

I buy my consumables from www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com and have good service and prices from them.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

How many amps is that machine?
corn chip
    Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:20 pm

if you dont know what size wire fits in your machine maybe its best just pay a real welder to do the job. if by chance you figure it out then any local store has lincoln inner shield
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

a common restriction is what size rollers you have for your machine. flux core uses serrated rollers (as you can't use pressure like with solid wire).
tweak it until it breaks