mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
MCMIG85
    Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:55 am

I noticed my MIG welder losing gas fairly quickly so I checked for gas leaks using soap/water. Lots of bubbles coming from where the regulator threads into my tank. Is this normal? Do most people use teflon tape at this connection to create a better seal? Thanks.
Attachments
air bubbles.jpg
air bubbles.jpg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 15444 times
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Tape is for tapered connections, it won't help there. (OK, it might help a bit but it's the wrong approach).

Take the regulator off and check the nipple and the seat for damage or dirt. It is a brass connection and shouldn't be tightened hard.

Have you used the regulator before? Did it leak after a cylinder change?

Jack
MCMIG85
    Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:55 am

I bought the tank and welder used. This is the first time I've actually checked for leaks. The threads look okay to me. And no dirt.
Jack Ryan

MCMIG85 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:09 pm I bought the tank and welder used. This is the first time I've actually checked for leaks. The threads look okay to me. And no dirt.
Look at the nipple and the seat. If there are dings it will leak.

Jack
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

as above, they don't seal on the thread. they seal on the oring or rubber tip thats on the end.
tweak it until it breaks
Jack Ryan

tweake wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:52 am as above, they don't seal on the thread. they seal on the oring or rubber tip thats on the end.
Yes, and some are just brass with no O-ring so it is even more important to have good surfaces. As brass is soft it is a bit forgiving but that also means you don't over tighten it.

Jack
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I've had some leak. Tape won't help on the threads because they dont seal, BUT put some on the cone and watch those soap bubbles disappear. ;)
Jack Ryan

Oscar wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:06 pm I've had some leak. Tape won't help on the threads because they dont seal, BUT put some on the cone and watch those soap bubbles disappear. ;)
That's good for sealing the filter in the regulator as well ;-)

Jack