mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
mllemoin
    Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:41 pm

Hello,
I am an R&D Engineer at a tiny company(3 employees) where we design, build and test prototypes.

We currently have a Lincoln Precision Tig 225 and are looking for an AC/DC multiprocess welder that could hopefully replace it without sacrificing capability. Electrical is 220V single phase. We are looking to weld aluminum, SS & steel up to 3/8" - 1/2".

So far I have only really found the Multimatic 220 AC/DC and the Rebel EMP 205ic AC/DC that seem to be about what we are looking for but wanted to see if there were any higher powered ones for under $10K including a cart and spool gun? If not we are open to considering a stand alone mig and keeping the precision tig but would prefer to save space.

Thanks
-Max
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For me, the greatest determination on choosing a multi process box is what thickness aluminum? You stated 3/8-1/2 but is that in steel or aluminum also? I would not weld 1/2 aluminum with the Miller 220 because it is under-powered for that thickness. I’d want at least 250 amps.

If you’re only welding steel that thick, and the aluminum is up to 1/4”, then you would be fine TIG or MIG with that box.

I have an earlier version, the MM200 and use the spool gun but also have a Dynasty for TIG. They stack on the same cart and I run 2 full sized bottles behind (100% Ar, and 75/25 for MIG). Best of both worlds for me. So I’d keep the Lincoln and add the Miller 252 for a top end MIG or look at the HTP ProPulse for a high quality MIG box. Both will also do Stick like your Lincoln.
mllemoin
    Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:41 pm

We have decided to do like you said and keep the Lincoln tig and go with a dedicated mig. Looking towards the 255 over the 252 after reading the following article which suggests pulsed mig is advantageous when working with aluminum. We would primarily be doing 1/8-1/4" aluminum but would like to be able to do 3/8-1/2" if needed.

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... erformance
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

pulse is a big advantage. however pulse requires higher amp settings.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

That 255 will do the job on those thicknesses. Enjoy the new box!