mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
historyofwarfare
    Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:19 am

I have read the manual provided with my Hobart 135 welder. It was a used gift. I weld flux because it's easier than using gas and I weld outside. I usually point the wire toward the weld puddle at around 15 degrees and pull. If that is wrong, what is better?
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

I like to maintain a nuetral position while fluxcore welding. Dragging gets the job done, and fast, but makes it more probable that flux will get caught underneath the weld, and reduces penetration, so I guess it depends on the purpose. Sometimes I even pulse it for an ornamental look.

The same for uphill or downhill, uphill will provide a better quality weld and is more likely to pass for inspections, tests, ect. But a down hill weld will do the job fast.

But for the best quality welds, I think you need to have a nuetral to slightly pushing wire feed angle.

-Rick
historyofwarfare
    Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:19 am

After I typed this question, I found a video by Kevin Caron, a sculpture, who says push or pull either way is fine, that there is no one way. But, I prefer to push after reading a bit more.