mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Does anybody here have experience with gasless flux cored hard facing wire? Techniques, settings, weld appearance, patterns, etc...
Be the monkey....
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Any wire in particular? What type of application?
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
nickn372

We are working with large diameter augers for wet and dry fibrous material low to no impact. We have kinda determined through Lincoln that Lincore 55 or compatible would be the best choice. I'm more looking for techniques and things like that.
Be the monkey....
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Just curious why the lincore 55 was chosen? That is for a metal to metal application. A severe abrasion wire such as lincore 60 or 65 is what is desired for you application, unless I am missing something. Anyways, depending on the choice of wire used will determine some of the procedure. Almost all will require the existing weld deposit to be removed if there is any. Base metal should be at least 70 deg. F. You will run stringer beads, no big weave beads. Depending on the filler wire will determine how many layers you can run and wether you will use a low travel speed or a fast travel speed. The travel speed is for closely spaced check cracks if you are using more than two layers.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
nickn372

I guess we werent aware that it was for metal to metal. Is this a problem? I guess we dont need severe abrasion resistance because its not sand to steel and it is low speed. I went for a moderate abrasion resistance and low impact tolerance because there is no impact situations. The material is wet and fluffy but produces wear because of its density. Fluffy yet dense, lol, I know that doesn't sound right but take my work for it.
Be the monkey....