mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Been a long time since I set up a mig machine. I picked up a new Lincoln Pro Mig 180. The machine was set up for flux core ( work lead on positive and gun on negative). I did some mig welding (using shielding gas) with the machine set for flux core. Is there any harm done to the machine setting it this way. I did switch the leads to their proper hookup.

When I bought my first Lincoln SP-100 some 20 years ago I believe I was told that you could use the machine either way...........setting it up in the "flux core manner" to prevent burn thru on thin material.

As always any help is appreciated!!!
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

As long as you are set up for dcep for bare wire short circuit mig you are good to go, most flux wires are made to run on dcen. So check you machine and make sure you are set on up on dcep, you should be able to tell because bare wire mig will weld like crap on dcen. http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/how ... -weld.html that is a link for a video Jody made on setting up a machine for bare wire short circuit mig. Hope that helps you out.