mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

What gas do you use when you run flux cored gas shielded wire? Will regular 75-25 work?
Be the monkey....
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

You shouldn't need any gas with a flux cored wire. The flux takes the place of the gas.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

There are certain kinds of flux cored wire that are designed for use with a shielding gas. It should be set out in the tech notes of the wire. Eg I belive that Lincoln E712 C is speced for Co2. Try to use with out gas and youll get porosity same as solid wire.

Mick
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Never knew that. I guess you do learn something new every day.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Most "dual shield" wires, meaning flux-core with gas, call for 75/25. Mild steel wires will usually work OK with 100% CO2, though in my experience the 75/25 will give better results, such as less spatter and better bead appearance. Stainless wires are not so forgiving. The wrong gas wil make it nearly impossible to weld in anything but the flat position.

Steve
nickn372

Thanks a lot! I guess I will have to inquire with Lincoln on which gas is required. I was wanting to use Ultracore FCP309L all position for disimilar metals.
Be the monkey....
Citroën
    Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:35 pm

nickn372 wrote:Thanks a lot! I guess I will have to inquire with Lincoln on which gas is required. I was wanting to use Ultracore FCP309L all position for disimilar metals.
Take a look at the TDS;
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/e ... L/c652.pdf

SHIELDING GAS
100% CO2
75% Argon / 25% CO2
Migatronic Automig 233 MPS
Migatronic Sigma² 400 Pulse CW
Migatronic Pilot 2400 HP
nickn372

I did find that then. Thanks guys.
Be the monkey....