mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
stretchstick
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:19 am

I have a Lincoln 135 mig and the only training I have ever had was the two hour crash course that was complimentary with the purchase. I'm not the best, but can get good penetration and usually a cosmtically consistent bead. I am working on a tube frame rockcrawler and most of the material is 2" od .12 wall round tube. I know it is not recommended to weld upside down, but it's not like I can just flip the vehicle over to complete the welds underneath. Any tricks to keep the little molten balls of metal from building up, falling on me forcing me do a silly dance whle mutteing profanities?

Thanks,
David
JAL1639
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Hang a "practice" piece up and give it a go until you are happy with the penetration and looks.
Leather sleeves make a HUGE diff. or a thick cotton shirt.
War Eagle!
metafos
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:02 am

Try pushing the weld instead of dragging. This will make a big difference. Follow forward with the torch you'll have no problems .
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Use the same setting as flat, keep a very short stick out. I personally try to keep my angle straight in, no push or pull.
scragglepoo
    Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:45 pm

I run it straight as well. And there is nothing wrong with welding overhead.
FLApipedisciple
    Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 pm

brian wrote:Use the same setting as flat, keep a very short stick out. I personally try to keep my angle straight in, no push or pull.
Ditto
SEAN
    Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:37 am

If you follow the old timers advice do the cursive e a circular motion will allow you to follow or leed the puddle in any direction with out worrying about the end fill creater at the end of the run tie and draw back on it circular motion for mig works great if you can turn the nozzle end peice to the left 30deg or right 25deg for lefties