mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
mongoeastwood
    Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:59 pm

I weld galvanized pipe for fence gates. I have gotten sick for doing so. The symptoms are just an achy pain for about 8 hours after welding in my joints; kinda like the bends; and painkillers have no effect; I have found that chocolate milk helps a little. I have only had this twice in a year; I've noticed the "bubblegum" smell of the galvenized fumes and when I get a whiff of them I immediately move myself away from the fumes; this also has helped in avoiding them.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

don't know if you weld with stick or mig but if you are in a shop environment try using a small fan.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Welding galvanized can be dangerous. they call it metal fume fever. its basically overexposure to zinc oxide. I heard drinking milk helps, something with the calcium.
Ken
  • Ken
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Sorry I haven't replied to this sooner, but I just found my used name and password again.
I weld galvanized pipe for gates, fences and other stuff for the Va Beach School system.
I can tell you from personal experience that if your stick welding galvanized do it either out doors or use a fan, if your mig welding with either gas or flux core use a respirator, trust me it may be a little uncomfortable for a little while, but it beats feeling like your fell off a roof any day.
rick_barter
    Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:48 pm

My welding instructor said to always drink a glass of milk before you go to bed after welding on galvanized. Frankly, I opted for a respirator.

But, then again I do other crazy things like wear safety glasses and ear protection. :D