mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
chadwarden
    Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

I posted this on welddit and I reckon I might as well post this here as well.

So in school I started doing MIG welding overhead fillets with 10mm plates but I just have some questions about doing it the right way. So when I use a near 90 degree angle or the angle I use for flat, It either gets really lumpy or just burns through like crazy! My settings for flat and overhead are the same (26.5-27 volts for 10mm). I asked the teacher for a demo and he told me to have a steeper push angle and go a little faster. This worked out really well and now I can make a nice flat bead that looks like it was done on flat but a smaller size. Now I have a few questions on overhead MIG. Is it okay to have a steep angle with MIG? I also realized that the sound is a lot different when welding overhead. Why is this? When my teacher gave me a demonstration, there was very little sound and it was almost like spray arc (again the setting was not changed). Is this acceptable? Enlighten me here.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

On overhead MIG, I always "push". 20* or so for a fillet, 30* for a groove (4G). I also increase my wire speed about 10% over the same weld flat. (same voltage)

I've never heard it like "spray arc", and I'd think that undesirable, thus my increase in wire speed. Too much risk of drip-back into the nozzle.

Your mileage may vary...

Steve S