mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
DSL power
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm

What's your favorite self shielded flux core wire to run for general equipment repairs. I've been running Lincoln nr212 and have been pretty happy with it for most of my repair work.
Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
Everlast Power I-TIG 255EXT
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Good question.
I've found Lincoln to be the best, although, believe it or not, Forney makes some excellent flux cored wire.
The main thing is, treat it like 7018, meaning it absorbs moisture and will cause porosity.
Here's a redneck topic :arrow: http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=6&t=4338
2 cents,
John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
DSL power

I'll have to admit that I use my wire after a year or two but I only use it for non critical repairs and i keep it in a old fridge with a 100w light bulb in it to keep the temps up over 120f. I know its not a rod oven but my little 10lb ovens won't fit my 8in spools. It seems to work good for keeping out the moisture.
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

AKweldshop wrote:Good question.
believe it or not, Forney makes some excellent flux cored wire.
John
I bought a Hobart Handler 140 and it came with Hobart flux core wire. I ran it for a while but it was so expensive and didn't run very good at all. I bought Forney at the local hardware store, it was half the price and twice the wire. I don't always run flux core but when I do it's always Forney.
Matt
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
DSL power

Sounds like I'm gonna have to try some forney. What is the number for the forney wires your running?
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52

E71TGS and I am running .030 wire. I got a 10 pound roll for about $45. That is my local hardware price. I like the stuff it has done me good.
Matt
puty72
    Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:01 pm

lincoln
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Lincoln, but I haven't run any flux core in a few years. When mig won't cut it, it's stick all the way. :mrgreen:
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
DSL power

I need to weld up a grapple for a friends track loader and I was going to give lincoln nr233 a try this time. Its all 3/4-1 1/4in ar400 and t1. It should be a fun project.
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

DSL power,
You realize that the T1 is quenched and tempered and requires a different procedure to weld than mild steel or AR400? I cannot recommend using Lincoln NR-233 when welding T1, as it only has a tensile strength of 70-95ksi and a Charpy V-Nnotch of 27ft-lbs. Mig welding T1 requires 110ksi and Charpy V-Notch of 50ft-lbs. If you already know all this, ignore it.
http://pc.arcelormittal.com/NA/plateinf ... 20WELD.pdf
-Jonathan
DSL power

Sorry I forgot to specify the T1 is the backing plate. I was planning on using 9018 rod for that. do you think that will be fine? I've used it before for a log loader repair.
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Not knowing your exact design or strength requirements, first response is it should be fine. Although the T1 technically requires the 110ksi, this will vary with the job or WPS. For example, I did 3/4" T1 welded to A500 Grade B with Lincoln SuperArc LA-90 using 95/5. This gives approx. 106ksi using I think it was 250-300 amps, so we did not put to much KJ. This is what was required for the WPS, conformances, and design/use.
DSL power

This grapply is just for a friends loader. We had another friend draw it up in autocad and sent it off to the steel place to have them cut everything for us since all we can do is freehand cut. They gave us a good deal on the cutting so we couldn't say no anyway. The plans where pretty much created by us and our previouse knowledge of what he wanted in a grapple there is no nice sheet of specs to go off on this one. This one is a demo that he's going to go beat on and if it holds up we might do a short production run of them.
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I've run a lot of NR-212 5/64 on big structural and its pretty nice.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

We have had a lot of problems with the Lincoln flux core shorting out in the shield lining. It shorts out and will stick. Won't let it continue feeding through.

Has anyone noticed that with the Forney? Maybe its my buddies machine. He has a small lincoln 180 mig/ flux core machine running on 40 amp dryer line.
DSL power

I've never experienced that on my machine and all I've run through it is Lincoln. I am going to have to try Forney once I get all moved into my new place.
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

You guys will be amazed how good of quality Forney Fcaw wire is.... ;)
I've ran 50lbs min of it in a Lincoln weld pak hd( 88amp machine)
It runs smooth and very porosity resistant....
Try some... DCEN....

Weld on!!!

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I have a Hobart Handler 140 and I ran straight Hobart flux core in it but it was so expensive so I got some Forney flux core at our local supplier and it is twice the wire than the Hobart wire is. It is a lot smoother and better running stuff. I have also ran lincoln and would not run it if it was the last spool I had. I also have some Forney stick rods and they seem to do pretty good. I always ran lincoln rods with no trouble and I feel the Forney do just as good as the lincoln and Hobart rods.
Matt
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I will be looking around for some Forney wire thanks for the compare guys. Much appreciated. I also got some 7018 forney rods at a local Habitat restore and picked them up I think for $10 for a 2 pound bag sealed. They ran great. SMoother than the licolne rods. If I can find a supplier around here I will be getting more.
charlie19
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 pm

I use Hobart XLR-8, size 1/16" with good results.