mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
daniel@strong
    Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:33 pm

im wanting to know best setting for welding metalcored wire on 1/8hardox material to 12gauge material at a fast downhill rate and is it the best wire to be using hardox I read was closer to stainless than carbon steel? is that accurate
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Welcome to the site Daniel.

I moved your question to the Mig forum where you will get more views.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

daniel@strong

Thanks fat bob I appreciate that I'm struggling
With this welding application if I was welding it
Horizontal i would be fine but I'm welding it down
Hill you'd think easier right well I'm about 25'in the air
And welding @ 45"per min giving me some trouble
So any advice would be greatly appreciated
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Daniel.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
daniel@strong

Thanks mike I see I got a few views but no answers
Or even a good guesstimation I guess the application
Is alittle awkward well thanks mike
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Have patience, Daniel,

This forum moves at a slow, neighborhood kind of pace, not the instant response of FB or SnapChat.

We have members around the world, who visit and respond in their own time.

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - perhaps if you could provide a little more info on your application others will chime in - also due to time differences around the members countries & work commitments you may have to wait a day or 2 for people with experience to respond - also your term " metalcored " is unfamiliar to me in the UK.

I have welded plenty of Hardox - mainly 400 series as wear parts on earth moving equipment - while I believe ( would have to check as it's a long time since I asked ) the preferred welding consumable is in the low austenitic range ( something like 18 /8 from memory )I've almost never used it due to price / speed & positional welding - the customer has usually specified or been happy with regular 7018 stick weld or ER70 wire & so long as the weld was sound I've never had a problem with cracking or other defect - often it was applied as a sacrificial wear face on a rock grab / back-hoe bucket or rock truck body - I believe more care is needed on the 600 series but I've not used it much as the extra cost was not justified for the application - what grade are you using ? & if I assume this Mig wire to be some sort of flux core / self shied why run it downhill - it generally is'nt great at that & the little I've done has always been uphill - though I admit your application is somewhat thinner than anything I've done - would I guess it's hoppers / chutes / conveyor related ? - if so when I've done this in the past " 50B " wear resistant steel seemed to be more economic than hardox - just a thought - I'm sure you will get others chime in - if I guessed the application right there is a guy that posts from time to time on here that does plenty of this type of work & may have some answers .
daniel@strong

Ok sorry guys I'm new to the forum I'm welding
450 1/8 hardox with a linclon intervect 350
At 25'in the air about 45"min downhill it's a dumb bed
Body for earth moving ,asphalt ,whatever is
Needed but the floor is gotta be wear proof and
The walls are 12ga domex or 3mm using 500amp hd
Gun with metal cored wire not flux cored metal cored
I never heard of it either till last year it's supposedly
For robot welding a lot of wire application and fast
But the down hill is tricky
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Well I Google'd that wire as it's not something I've used - seen something similar but much bigger diameter on a boom feeder set up - does the wire supplier not have any assistance or a website that helps any ? there are presumably some base line parameters for the product from which only a little fine tuning will be needed.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Daniel,
Thanks for your patience. It does take us some time so get you the answers you need. The short answer is no I don't have any settings for you on your downhill metalcore. I have never ran metalcore downhill. The metalcore we use is .045 and we only weld in the horizontal position.
Your question poses questions for me to make sure you understand what you are welding. First I will tell you I have never welded Hardox but have plenty of experience with AR400, AR500, T1 (A514) etc. With the research I did on these types of materials, I find them very similar to the T1. The question I want answered the most is, what exact wire are you running? What wire you are using will help answer some of my questions.
I have found that Hardox requires a pre heat (not with your thickness though) is susceptible to hydrogen cracking, requires interpass temperatures and only a certain amount of heat input in the HAZ. I am assuming that your employer chose vertical down for its inherent speed or efficiency (and the fact you probably cant flip your work into position). You should be able to achieve 5.5kg/hr.

Here are some sites to go over if you would like to learn more about your metals.
http://www.hardox.com/Global/HARDOX/Bro ... ing_UK.pdf
http://www.ssab.com/Global/DOMEX/Datash ... 0%20XF.pdf
-Jonathan
daniel@strong

It's select arc 701-sc .035wire were using a 85/15 mixture argon co2
I read sabb application and yes at my thickness I Dnt need
Preheat plus the temp were we are in Texas is usually 100+degrees
Application is unusual It can weld horizontal.
Easily but this rate and position is puzzling me