mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

My local welding supply asked my to try out this BorNIGuard ceramic coating for MIG nozzles. I have not run it a lot but will have to say it seems to work well. It is pricey so I am not sure yet if it is something I will invest in. Anyone here use this stuff? Was wanting to see others feedback and share this product as well.
-Jonathan
Attachments
Ceramic coating BorNiGuard.JPG
Ceramic coating BorNiGuard.JPG (113.5 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Ceramic coating BorNiGuard nozzle.JPG
Ceramic coating BorNiGuard nozzle.JPG (92.22 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

We use that at work. Not the same brand but same product. It works very well, although you need to alter your nozzle cleaning techniques as you will scrape the paint off. I found that "rubbing" the ring of spatter off the end of the torch with a gloved hand works well, and then a bent bit of mig wire used like a machinists deburr tool works well.

Mick
brokeitagain
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am

how long does an application last? I have always used nozzle gel, which is pretty cheap and requires frequent reapplication

I have heard it is advertised to last a 8 hour shift. In my opinion the cost savings would come from not having to stop and re-apply nozzle gel or anti-spatter. I have at max 4 hours on the nozzle in the picture, so I would say it is doing its job. I cleaned the nozzle once and the spatter fell right off.
-Jonathan
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It lasts a long time if you are careful as i said, and because the nozzle is always pretty clean its easy to reapply. Also because theres no need for heat like with dip, you can give it a quick spray just before lunch or whenever.
Alleycat
    Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:14 am

Ceramic anti-spatter is very popular in Europe. Not so much in USA ... yet. Very valuable to reduce machine downtime and make cleaner, more continuous welds.
Alleycat

BorNiGuard ceramic anti-spatter is popular on fixtures and fittings, too.

I actually am liking this ceramic spatter guard. It does seem to last longer than anit-spatter. I also have sprayed a table with it and it works well.
-Jonathan
Alleycat

Who was your local welding supply store? Do they have more?

Alleycat wrote:Who was your local welding supply store? Do they have more?
I got it as a demo and do not know if they are stocking it and selling it yet. My LWS is Albright Welding Supply here in Wooster and I will highly recommend them. There phone is 330.264.2021 and ask for John or Dave and tell them Jonathan sent you.
http://www.albrightwelding.com/
-Jonathan
MigMac
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:18 am

Hi.
The Borniguard ceramic sounds good.
Anybody know where in Detroit I can buy some??

I used a similar product in Europe at a car plant but have not seen it in the States.
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

MigMac wrote:Hi.
The Borniguard ceramic sounds good.
Anybody know where in Detroit I can buy some??

I used a similar product in Europe at a car plant but have not seen it in the States.
Welcome to the site Mac. You might try sending them a message on "contact" page of their web site. http://www.borniguard.com/ Tell them your in Detroit and maybe they can tell you a local shop that carries it.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

MigMac
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:18 am

Hi
Thanks. I found it in Ann Arbor.
See http://aaweldingsupply.com/products/weld-shield

$25 a can...

Regards

Update of ceramic spatter guard; I have been using this product off and on for a while. I am on my second can and am very pleased. While I have not done a lot of spray arc welding, it seems to hold up well to the heat. I have personally talked to Len Allison myself and will say he seems to be a great guy. I highly recommend this product for anyone from the hobbiest to pro. I feel it will save one money in the long run.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jonathan,

Thank you for the review.

Have you used it in short-circuit transfer, and does it hold up as well there?

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Jonathan,

Steve S
Steve,
I have been mostly using it in short-circuit transfer. I have a Bernard eliptical set up I have done nothing but short circuit on and it has help up extremely well. I would say one/two applications will last a 8 hour shift just fine, as long as you don't scratch it all off in cleaning. It takes so very little effort to clean the nozzle. I did do the pipes found toward the end in "what I welded today" in spray and it held up fine. I am beginning to wonder though, if the caramic transfers heat to the neck and gun. In the pic I am using .035 self shield on a friends very rusty trailer and while the ceramic spray is fine my plastic is not. It could be that I am just pushing the gun to much, don't care for the M25 but I didn't want to drag out the 25' gun. I would guess that there is 3-4 hours of actual weld time in the pic. I want to test it at 250+ amps but have not had the opportunity yet.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (103.54 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
mikek
    Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:00 am

Superiorwelding wrote:

Steve S
Steve,
I have been mostly using it in short-circuit transfer. I have a Bernard eliptical set up I have done nothing but short circuit on and it has help up extremely well. I would say one/two applications will last a 8 hour shift just fine, as long as you don't scratch it all off in cleaning. It takes so very little effort to clean the nozzle. I did do the pipes found toward the end in "what I welded today" in spray and it held up fine. I am beginning to wonder though, if the caramic transfers heat to the neck and gun. In the pic I am using .035 self shield on a friends very rusty trailer and while the ceramic spray is fine my plastic is not. It could be that I am just pushing the gun to much, don't care for the M25 but I didn't want to drag out the 25' gun. I would guess that there is 3-4 hours of actual weld time in the pic. I want to test it at 250+ amps but have not had the opportunity yet.
-Jonathan
from your pic i looks like your spraying the entire nozzle on the gun? next time just spray the last inch or so of the nozzle inside and out let it dry and see if it works better

mikek wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:

Steve S
Steve,
-Jonathan
from your pic i looks like your spraying the entire nozzle on the gun? next time just spray the last inch or so of the nozzle inside and out let it dry and see if it works better
I will do that! Do you have any experience with this or a similar product?
-Jonathan
mikek
    Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:00 am

similar product, cant remember what brand anymore. but if you use it properly the fiberglass in the base of the cone will wear out before the cone shows much wear. also did not have much luck spraying the tip (even blocking off the wire hole) good luck have fun!
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

How is it doing now, any more test results? :)
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt

Matt,
I have been using the nozzle pictures since I last posted in short arc and have not reapplied an have not had any problems. I am only welding short runs do I am not pushing it by any means.
I can still honestly recommend this product to anyone (and no I don't get a kickback for the advertising)
-Jonathan
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I was wondering, I don't run my mig enough to need a nozzle guard. I was just curious about how it was going for you. :)
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Alleycat

Bluegrass weld n can.jpg
Bluegrass weld n can.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
Tried some new applications
Alleycat

lasertip.jpg
lasertip.jpg (120.92 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
Keeping laser cut tips and fixtures clean
Alleycat