mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
MigMac
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:18 am

Hi.
The Borniguard ceramic sounds good.
Anybody know where in Detroit I can buy some??

I used a similar product in Europe at a car plant but have not seen it in the States.
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

MigMac wrote:Hi.
The Borniguard ceramic sounds good.
Anybody know where in Detroit I can buy some??

I used a similar product in Europe at a car plant but have not seen it in the States.
Welcome to the site Mac. You might try sending them a message on "contact" page of their web site. http://www.borniguard.com/ Tell them your in Detroit and maybe they can tell you a local shop that carries it.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

MigMac

Hi
Thanks. I found it in Ann Arbor.
See http://aaweldingsupply.com/products/weld-shield

$25 a can...

Regards
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Update of ceramic spatter guard; I have been using this product off and on for a while. I am on my second can and am very pleased. While I have not done a lot of spray arc welding, it seems to hold up well to the heat. I have personally talked to Len Allison myself and will say he seems to be a great guy. I highly recommend this product for anyone from the hobbiest to pro. I feel it will save one money in the long run.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jonathan,

Thank you for the review.

Have you used it in short-circuit transfer, and does it hold up as well there?

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:Jonathan,

Steve S
Steve,
I have been mostly using it in short-circuit transfer. I have a Bernard eliptical set up I have done nothing but short circuit on and it has help up extremely well. I would say one/two applications will last a 8 hour shift just fine, as long as you don't scratch it all off in cleaning. It takes so very little effort to clean the nozzle. I did do the pipes found toward the end in "what I welded today" in spray and it held up fine. I am beginning to wonder though, if the caramic transfers heat to the neck and gun. In the pic I am using .035 self shield on a friends very rusty trailer and while the ceramic spray is fine my plastic is not. It could be that I am just pushing the gun to much, don't care for the M25 but I didn't want to drag out the 25' gun. I would guess that there is 3-4 hours of actual weld time in the pic. I want to test it at 250+ amps but have not had the opportunity yet.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (103.54 KiB) Viewed 5282 times
mikek
    Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:00 am

Superiorwelding wrote:

Steve S
Steve,
I have been mostly using it in short-circuit transfer. I have a Bernard eliptical set up I have done nothing but short circuit on and it has help up extremely well. I would say one/two applications will last a 8 hour shift just fine, as long as you don't scratch it all off in cleaning. It takes so very little effort to clean the nozzle. I did do the pipes found toward the end in "what I welded today" in spray and it held up fine. I am beginning to wonder though, if the caramic transfers heat to the neck and gun. In the pic I am using .035 self shield on a friends very rusty trailer and while the ceramic spray is fine my plastic is not. It could be that I am just pushing the gun to much, don't care for the M25 but I didn't want to drag out the 25' gun. I would guess that there is 3-4 hours of actual weld time in the pic. I want to test it at 250+ amps but have not had the opportunity yet.
-Jonathan
from your pic i looks like your spraying the entire nozzle on the gun? next time just spray the last inch or so of the nozzle inside and out let it dry and see if it works better

mikek wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:

Steve S
Steve,
-Jonathan
from your pic i looks like your spraying the entire nozzle on the gun? next time just spray the last inch or so of the nozzle inside and out let it dry and see if it works better
I will do that! Do you have any experience with this or a similar product?
-Jonathan
mikek
    Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:00 am

similar product, cant remember what brand anymore. but if you use it properly the fiberglass in the base of the cone will wear out before the cone shows much wear. also did not have much luck spraying the tip (even blocking off the wire hole) good luck have fun!
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

How is it doing now, any more test results? :)
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt

Matt,
I have been using the nozzle pictures since I last posted in short arc and have not reapplied an have not had any problems. I am only welding short runs do I am not pushing it by any means.
I can still honestly recommend this product to anyone (and no I don't get a kickback for the advertising)
-Jonathan
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I was wondering, I don't run my mig enough to need a nozzle guard. I was just curious about how it was going for you. :)
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Alleycat
    Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:14 am

Bluegrass weld n can.jpg
Bluegrass weld n can.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 5510 times
Tried some new applications
Alleycat

lasertip.jpg
lasertip.jpg (120.92 KiB) Viewed 5510 times
Keeping laser cut tips and fixtures clean
Alleycat

Keeping laser fixture clean
Attachments
laserfixturenoslag.jpg
laserfixturenoslag.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 5510 times
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I use Loctite SF7900 ceramic coating. http://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/spider ... 86|||22.99 cheapest I've found it.
soutthpaw

Alleycat wrote:
Bluegrass weld n can.jpg
Tried some new applications
I think you are misunderstanding it's use? It's not supposed to bee applied to the area you are welding, it's to apply to surfaces you don't want weld spatter to stick to (nozzles, tips, clamps, table etc). It looks like you welded through it? That's going to affect the quality of the weld. You now have ceramic "slag" trapped in your weld.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

And very expensive way. Use Anti-spatter for what you are doing.

Mick
MigMac

Hi
I agree (to an extent) with Mike 27. Using ceramic coating as regular anti spatter is extremely expensive.
However there are (must be) cases where the job justifies the cost. I guess you could mask off the parts pre weld to stop spatter on the job but avoid the actual weld.

Re the costs.....I think the BorNiGuard can has 11 fluid ounces while Loctite has about 9.5.so as far as one can being cheaper you have to consider how many ounces you get for your buck.

I've tried both and the BorNiGuard builds a thicker film faster, so it likely has higher ceramic solids.
By the way Southpaw... What colour is your Loctite. I thought it should be white like the borniguard but My Loctite was a pink-ish coating from the first can, but not the next. ?

Weld on .....

regards

MigMac
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Spraying this stuff on jobs and jigs should only be in high temp situations. Or where a highly expensive part must be protected. Other than that, the water based anti spatter is fine. (And non toxic)

Mick
soutthpaw

MigMac wrote:Hi
I agree (to an extent) with Mike 27. Using ceramic coating as regular anti spatter is extremely expensive.
However there are (must be) cases where the job justifies the cost. I guess you could mask off the parts pre weld to stop spatter on the job but avoid the actual weld.

Re the costs.....I think the BorNiGuard can has 11 fluid ounces while Loctite has about 9.5.so as far as one can being cheaper you have to consider how many ounces you get for your buck.

I've tried both and the BorNiGuard builds a thicker film faster, so it likely has higher ceramic solids.
By the way Southpaw... What colour is your Loctite. I thought it should be white like the borniguard but My Loctite was a pink-ish coating from the first can, but not the next. ?

Weld on .....

regards

MigMac
Well I'm color blind, but it's not white, It looks like a light grey primer which you might call light pink I suppose
MigMac

Hi
Curiosity got the better of me and I asked around.
I'm told (may not be true) that this happens when the cans are old and the solvents (chemicals) in the can start to corrode the protective paint on the inside of the aerosol.
It seems the inside of the aerosol has a coat of paint to protect the metal can from damage from the stuff inside.
When the cans are old this paint dissolves into the ceramic the color changes.

May be true maybe bull...

Regards
Alleycat

Tried the BorNiGuard on laser table slats. Four rows were coated for side-by-side comparison.
Attachments
SlatSlagTest 1.jpg
SlatSlagTest 1.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 5710 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Alleycat wrote:Tried the BorNiGuard on laser table slats. Four rows were coated for side-by-side comparison.
I'd call that a definitive result!

Steve S
Alleycat

Ceramic coating is getting popular in oxy-fuel cutting applications. Usual benefits - reduced downtime and consumables. Image